Threads
Members
Latest member
monofinder
Recent bookmarks

kman543210

Shooter
35mm
Hello everyone, I'm Kevin, and I Just joined the forum today. I was born, raised, and live in Portland, Oregon, so I have plenty of things outdoors to photograph here. I wouldn't call myself a "photographer", but I've been taking pictures since I can remember, first with a cheap 110 camera before I was even 10, then a 35mm Pentax point and shoot when I was 15, and I was gifted a 35mm Canon SLR a few years back. I do digitize my pictures through a flatbed scanner (or photo CD at processing), but I don't own any digital cameras.

I mainly take pictures of my life events (friends and family), but I also do take pictures of the scenery when I've been hiking and camping; I did a lot of hiking in the northwest around waterfalls, so I have a lot of pictures of those (nothing for posters, just to document the waterfalls I've been to). The main reason that I got an SLR is that I wanted to start taking more nature pictures, especially of waterfalls and scenery (due to some health issues, I've had a delay in getting out and doing some of that).

I joined this group to learn about different techniques and equipment that people are using to take great pictures. I also wanted to find a forum where I could find out why my Canon SLR is taking such bad pictures (very disappointed) compared to my older point and shoot, so I'll eventually navigate my way to find the appropriate forum to ask those questions. Glad to be here and eager to learn more.

Jeff Kubach

Shooter
Multi Format
Hello Kevin, welcome to APUG. I wouldn't say that your Canon SLR is takening bad pictures. Canon is very good, I like the FD side myself. Just take patience!

Jeff

dpurdy

Shooter
8x10 Format
You will probably need to describe what you mean by taking bad pictures. Maybe the camera needs repair. Maybe the meter is off. Maybe the lens is hazy or something.
Dennis, in Portland too.

Leighgion

Shooter
Medium Format
Welcome, Kevin, from the north.

If your Canon's never had a tuneup since its been yours, then there's a plethora of perfectly ordinary age issues that could be foiling you. For all the bold talk about the longevity of mechanical devices vs electronic, any precision mechanical things need regular maintenance to keep in fighting trim.

mopar_guy

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Kevin,

Welcome from Stenwood, Washington.

Dave

OP
OP

kman543210

Shooter
35mm
Well, I was trying to find an appropriate forum for discussion of lenses or lighting, but I guess I'll just expand on the problem here. I agree that I don't think it's my camera because I read that the Canon EOS Rebel T2 isn't a bad camera (it's a new camera of only 2 years and has hardly been used), and the reason that I don't think it's the operator (me) is that I can still get descent pictures with an instant camera. It could be a not-so-great lense (it's a Quantaray 28-90mm) or just bad lighting (maybe the flash doesn't light up as well as it should in a darker room). I am using it in auto mode right now because I haven't been able to get out and use the specific functions, but I would hope that even in auto mode it would take better pictures. Thanks for the welcomes :smile:

papagene

Membership Council
Council
Shooter
Multi Format
Kevin - hello and welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts.

gene

Anscojohn

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Welcome, from near Washington, DC

Shooter
Multi Format
Welcome to the forum, Kevin. Now, sit back and enjoy the ride. We'll find the way to overcome that nasty case of pilot error you're experiencing with your AWESOME Canon.

Shooter
Large Format
Welcome Kevin.
I would suggest you take your camera to Camera Solutions, Advance Camera or Camera World. They all do a great job of cleaning and checking gear for me. Google the names, get their numbers and get some quotes.
Welcome to the forum and enjoy.

glockman99

Shooter
35mm
Kevin,

Welcome from Aberdeen, WA...Home of Nirvana, and The Lady Washington (Tall Ship).

But...Canon??? Maybe one day you'll see the light, and venture over to the dark side that is Nikon.:D.

OP
OP

kman543210

Shooter
35mm
But...Canon??? Maybe one day you'll see the light, and venture over to the dark side that is Nikon.:D.
Lol...it was a gift, so I didn't actually choose this camera. I probably would not have been able to choose anyway since I can be so indecisive at times. From what I've read about it, it seems like a descent camera for a beginner into the SLR world.

oscura

Shooter
35mm
Welcome Kevin :smile:

it wll be very cool to see photos from your waterfalls because i've never been to your country and i believe that hiking & camping is very beautiful at your home.

For your canon, post an example to see.

Have a look to the OM, it takes good pictures :tongue:

Bienvenue à toi :smile:

++

Oscura°°

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom