HC110 keeping properties

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Bill Banks, Mar 9, 2009.

1. Bill Banks

Bill Banks Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a two year old 500ml bottle of HC110 concentrate which is about 80% full and has turned a rich red colour. Do you think I can still use it? The Kodak fact sheet says (I think) that the shelf life of a partially full bottle is only 4 months but I keep reading here that HC110 has Rodinal-like keeping properties. Can anyone help?

2. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Drop a snip of exposed film in a dilution and see if it turns black in a minute or two. If it does, it is still potent. You must make a dilution, as HC110 by itself will not develop anything.

3. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used old (4/5 years) HC110 and had it worked fine. I recently came into 3 unopened bottles from maybe the '90's - not so good. They develop the film, but not as well as they should. Thin negs at the best. I'm going to try some "work-arounds" but I no longer believe the stuff is immortal.

4. mikebarger

mikebarger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know about partial bottles, I tend to go through it in a reasonable amount of time once opened.

But old full bottles haven't disappointed me.

Mike

5. Don Wallace

Don Wallace Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have used HC-110 with that colour and it was about the same age as yours. It seemed to work ok. Give it a test first, though. If it is ok, decant it into smaller bottles, filled right up to the cap.

6. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The color of HC-110 syrup does not seem to indicate the activity. I think HC-110 is near eternal.

7. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm with Whitey - I bought up a lot of darkroom gear that had a mid 90's almost full pint of hc-110. The developing action was weak, when compared to the solution that I mixed from a fresh bottle that I had bought a few months before the winfall job lot presented it to me, and with it the partial bottle. I did this test after seeing the wimpy contrast on one roll, think I blew the time or temp calcuation some how. I went out and shoot at test roll and develop half of the zone 1-8 roll in one tank of old and other half of zone 1-8 in new, both at dilution'h' - my favourite adaptation of half of B.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.