Having some problems making solutions...

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by guruguhan, Jul 13, 2006.

  1. guruguhan

    guruguhan Member

    Apr 19, 2006
    Toronto, CAN
    Multi Format
    Hi all,

    Two nights ago, I tried to mix some of my own FO instead of buying solution this
    time. I started with heating distilled water to
    150F, I then poured 55ml into a dropper bottle and added 15g of FO and 2g of
    Oxalic acid. I shook it repeatedly for a while, then put it away. Every
    hour or so I released some of the gas that had built up in the bottle, and
    shook again. I did this for two/three hours. This morning, the rubber on
    the dropper had exploded and I had FO all over the place. :smile: Yay for me. I've never read anywhere of a gas being released while making this solution...

    I also decided to make some Potassium Oxalate developer that night as well. I didn't have
    Potassium Oxalate, so made it from 165g of Oxalic Acid, 165g of Potassium
    carbonate and distilled water to 1000ml. I did it twice to make 2000ml, and
    only remembered to test the pH afterwards. It was a wopping 11.5! I did something very
    wrong somewhere. I added some oxalic acid to bring it down, but after
    adding about 50g, and not noticing a change in pH, I stopped. I made some ammonium citrate developer instead.

    For clearing agents I was using citric acid, but I have some EDTA
    tetrasodium, and EDTA disodium now. Which should I try out first? I have
    instructions detailing the mixing for EDTA imodium, is this another name for
    one of these two? Or does Imodium have no sodium? How should I mix the EDTA tetrasodium?

    Last night, after reading here on APUG that some don't add oxalic acid to their FO solution, I thought I'd try that (since both solutions I made the nigth before using oxalic acid had something wrong with them). This time I also mixed it in a flask using a magnetic stirrer and heated it. It quickly turned into a milky-type solution, and I put it into a dropper bottle. There was no gas being emitted this time either. I was shaking it every once in a while, and noticed the solution separated quite quickly (the milky solution was at the bottom and a clear one at the top). I shook it many times, but this morning it has separated once again.

    I'm wondering whether there is something wrong with the Ferric Oxalate I have (bought it from JDPhotochem in Canada). I'm also wonderiing about the oxalic acid (whether its even oxalic acid!) :smile:

    Any thoughts/ideas/help is appreciated...I can't afford to have another FO explosion!

    Thanks a lot,