JKFTL
Recent bookmarks

ymc226

Shooter
Medium Format

david b

Shooter
Medium Format
That hood should fit. Did you check ebay?

Also, you will be able to spin it a few rotations but it is not a perfect fit. I know from experience.

OP
OP

ymc226

Shooter
Medium Format
Thanks David. Have you used the B&W hood specifically as you have referred to an experience you've had?
Is it too tall and cause vignetting to occur?
What is the height of the original C38 hood?
Is the hood by Heavystars on the bay a better fit as I understand, the thread specifications are different from conventional dimensions and Heavystar purportedly advertises this specifically for the SWC with C lens? http://www.heavystar.com/servlet/the-8850/New-Metal-Lens-Shade/Detail

jmartin

Shooter
Multi Format
I have an SWC as well as the 50mm Distagon for the 500 series, and have the correct screw-in shades for both. The 38 hood is exactly the same as the 50 hood, except that it is 3mm shorter in depth. I've seen claims that the one for the 50mm will work fine for the SWC but I haven't ever tried it myself. There are several hoods for the 50mm Distagon C lens on ebay at the moment (original Hasselblad items) going for around $40. You could get one of those and try it, perhaps grind it down by 3mm if necessary.

dentkimterry

Shooter
Large Format
Standard 67mm filters and accessories have a different pitch than the threads on the swc/m. They will go on 1/2, 3/4 of a turn and then bind up. Also the B+W hood you are looking at will not have the recess necessary to accept the series 8 filters. You can find good deals on the 38mm hood if you look long enough. I got one for $50 on the bay. Another way to go is to buy the hood for the 50mm C lens and file it down to the size of the 38. They can be had reasonable. Hope this helps.

Terry

jmartin

Shooter
Multi Format
Sorry, forgot to mention the actual dimensions: the shade for the 50 is 17mm deep, the 38 shade is 14mm. I just measured again to be sure.

OP
OP

ymc226

Shooter
Medium Format
Thanks to all for the feedback. I didn't realize that the hood needed a recess for the series 8 filter to sit in. That makes a big difference. I wonder if any of the non OEM sellers of hoods for the SWC C lenses have this recess. Otherwise, I will have to wait to use the camera as I don't use the lens cap but usually use a hood and UV filter when I place the camera in the bag.

OP
OP

ymc226

Shooter
Medium Format
I understand that the Hasselblad C 50 shade which is more readily available also fits the SWC but is about 2-3 mm deeper which may cause vignetting. Is it possible to "grind" the excess down by hand sanding using coarse sandpaper?

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I have an SWC as well as the 50mm Distagon for the 500 series, and have the correct screw-in shades for both. The 38 hood is exactly the same as the 50 hood, except that it is 3mm shorter in depth. I've seen claims that the one for the 50mm will work fine for the SWC but I haven't ever tried it myself. There are several hoods for the 50mm Distagon C lens on ebay at the moment (original Hasselblad items) going for around $40. You could get one of those and try it, perhaps grind it down by 3mm if necessary.

I have a Hasselblad 903 SWC and I use a plastic bayonette mount [outside bayonette] square 38/60 hood from China without any problems.

Steve

OP
OP

ymc226

Shooter
Medium Format
I have a 903 as well and it has a bayonette mount but the SWC/M has a thread mount.

edtbjon

Shooter
Medium Format
I have a 903 as well and it has a bayonette mount but the SWC/M has a thread mount.

The camera was called SWC/M for quite some time. The early ones were black C lens barrel SWCs with thread mounted lens hoods (and the lifted rangefinder etc.). Later on the lens was mounted in a CF type barrels with the more modern Prontor shutter and bayonette mounts for both filters (B60) and lens hoods, but please note that the camera was still called SWC/M. (That was at least the case in the mid-80ies, when I bought a brand new one. What happened to that camera is another story though.) I recon hasselbladinfo.eu or some other site have all the information needed to tell the year in which this change was made.

//Björn

OP
OP

ymc226

Shooter
Medium Format
I checked with Heavystar who sells hoods for many lenses and he replied that his C38 hood now has a recess for retaining the Series VIII filter. Thanks for all of your help.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom