Members
Latest member
Hammad
Recent bookmarks

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
As a result of contacting Harman about the possibility of getting Perceptol in packs bigger than 1L, it appears that Harman maintains a "Customers' Wish List" which it periodically reviews to assess the viability of meeting customer requests.

Currently Harman only produces the 1L pack but used to do 2.5L and 5L packs. If enough Perceptol users were to contact it about restoring the 2.5L pack this might be grounds for its restoration. Those who have been Ilford enthusiasts for more than say 5 years will no doubt remember both the 2.5l and 5L packs.

It may be that moving straight from 1L to 5L is a step too far in the current analogue climate but I think that restoration of the 2.5L pack may be a possibility - at least as a trial run to see if consumer demand makes it viable.

If you are a user and genuinely would use the 2.5L pack then can I ask that you use the "contact us" on the Harman Technology site to request that Harman consider this request.

Currently Perceptol is quite expensive as a stock solution or even diluted 1+1 but I am sure would work out considerably cheaper per film in the 2.5L packs

Unlike some other requests we make, the stuff currently exists and Harman have confirmed that getting its chemical contractor to package it in 2.5L packs is not a problem. It just needs to be convinced that there are enough of us to make it worth its while.

I'll leave it with you to ponder

pentaxuser

Shooter
Multi Format
I doubt if there are enough people buying Perceptol for Ilford to justify reintroducing larger packages. Kodak Microdol-X has recently been discontinued for a similar reason. You could try Moersch EFG which is available in larger sizes.

Anon Ymous

Shooter
35mm
I doubt if there are enough people buying Perceptol for Ilford to justify reintroducing larger packages. Kodak Microdol-X has recently been discontinued for a similar reason...

OTOH, Microdol's discontinuation might bump Perceptol's sales and justify the reintoduction of the 2,5L packs. Time will show...

OP
OP

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
You may well be right. However if you would make use of the 2.5L pack then I urge you to contact Harman. If we assume that nothing will change and we don't make our wishes known then our assumption that nothing will change will certainly come true. I'll guarantee that! :D:

pentaxuser

Shooter
Multi Format
You may well be right. However if you would make use of the 2.5L pack then I urge you to contact Harman. If we assume that nothing will change and we don't make our wishes known then our assumption that nothing will change will certainly come true. I'll guarantee that! :D:

pentaxuser
I think that is wishful thinking and that I was on the right track when I started this (there was a url link here which no longer exists) along with the D-25 formula in the "Recent-Chems" section.
I had a feeling then, that the days of Microdol-X and/or Perceptol were numbered. :sad:

Shooter
Medium Format
Dear Pentaxuser,

We do indeed have a wish list and it is reviewed. I think nowadays a very good proportion of people who contact us would be APUGGERS and as you know I check APUG everyday I am in the office, when I am not in our technical service check it.

So perhaps I can pre-empt this one.

We will not be producing PERCEPTOL in anything other than 1lt packs, I know its a pain, and it would be better if it were available in larger sizes, but believe me its just not economic. Why ? Sales of ID11 are much, much bigger, hence we did not stop the 5 lt and its still available. Also you have to understand, that whilst we have great re-sellers all over the world an extra product of the same type can be difficult to justify stocking. To the best of my knowledge since the start of HARMAN technology we have only deleted one chemical product COOLTONE Paper dev, that unfortuanately failed to reach break even in a 12 month period. I hope that this explains why we cannot produce this product for you.

Regards

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
Multi Format
I am wondering how much longer Microphen will be around, as I believe that Ilford sells even less Microphen than they sell Perceptol.

OP
OP

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Thanks Simon, that now makes the Harman position unequivocally clear. However I was simply using APUG and another site in the U.K. called FADU to broadcast what I thought to be encouragement from your customer services to make Harman aware of customer wishes.

If there was never any likelihood of Harman ever considering packaging Perceptol in a bigger package as well as the 1L then it would have saved time and effort on my part and yours had this been said to me in the reply I received from customer services. I would have been big enough to have taken it.

It was never my intention to run a campaign of change in the manner of "storming the Winter palace" but simply to make sure that all APUGers realised that Harman seemed to want to know what the otherwise latent demand for bigger packs of Perceptol might be.

pentaxuser

steven_e007

Shooter
Multi Format
COOLTONE HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED???!!!

:-o

Suddenly, the bottle under my bench takes on a nostalgic, mystical quality...

Martin Reed

Advertiser
Advertiser
Shooter
Multi Format
Well, it's only a thought, (and I'll probably get taken to task by John, our manager), but there is an existing 10 litre Perceptol pack, namely the outer pack of 10 in which the product is supplied to dealers.

We'll put it up at a special 'wholesale' price on the Silverprint website today and see what the interest is. I know this is really UK only, but maybe a US based dealer would also run with the idea.

2F/2F

Shooter
Multi Format
(there was a url link here which no longer exists)

Read that thread through, particularly Tom Hoskinson's posts (his second one, in particular). Perceptol sounds like a super-easy and cheap developer to brew yourself in any quantity desired.

This thread is worth reading as well: (there was a url link here which no longer exists)

Shooter
Medium Format
Dear Pentaxuser,

You should have received a reply from customer services within 24 hours, I am really sorry you did not, and I will check it out.... as to 'storming the winter palace' an excellent metaphor which I will use fleely as if my own for the next few weeks ! ....as to Keith and MICROPHEN...do not worry we will not discontiue it...my arguement is about 'new' sizes and SKU's of existing products not the products we already have in our range, as of this morning 9.05 am 2,252 SKU's ( items ) of monochrome products...

Regards

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Martin Reed

Advertiser
Advertiser
Shooter
Multi Format

Martin Aislabie

Subscriber
Shooter
4x5 Format
COOLTONE HAS BEEN DISCONTINUED???!!!

:-o

Suddenly, the bottle under my bench takes on a nostalgic, mystical quality...

Steven, I too was upset that Cooltone was pulled :sad:

However, Mr CAD still has some stock - yes its the original batch of chemistry - so its the same age as the stuff you have under your bench - but its there if you want to take a chance and get a few more bottles

Martin

Lowell Huff

Shooter
35mm
products and packaging

If you limit your acceptable search area, you limit the ability to supply your needs. It is a large world shrinking every day. I would suggest that you look beyond "the reach of your arm."
I can not afford to manufacture such a small package (to make 1 liter). Ours is to make 1 gallon, 5 gallons, & 20 liters.
I also have a large following for our ULTRA COLD TONE DEVELOPER.

OP
OP

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Dear Pentaxuser,

You should have received a reply from customer services within 24 hours, I am really sorry you did not, and I will check it out.... as to 'storming the winter palace' an excellent metaphor which I will use fleely as if my own for the next few weeks ! ....as to Keith and MICROPHEN...do not worry we will not discontiue it...my arguement is about 'new' sizes and SKU's of existing products not the products we already have in our range, as of this morning 9.05 am 2,252 SKU's ( items ) of monochrome products...

Regards

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Simon I got a very helpful and prompt reply from customer services as I have done on other occasions to my original query on the longevity of Perceptol. I took the opportunity in that to mention that it was a pity that bigger packages weren't offered and from that stemmed what I assumed was the offer to note my wish and make it clear that all customers' wishes are kept note of.

I suspect that customer services were simply trying to empathise with my situation and desire for a bigger pack. When you are trying to do this it is difficult perhaps to say NO. However as the Harman position is quite unequivocal it might have been worth customer services' while to have risked being frank, even at the risk of sounding unsympathetic.

Overall you can be proud of the attention I have been shown by customer services in all my correspondence. With that small proviso about being frank where required, I'd recommend anyone here using the "contact us" option on the Harman site. If my experience is anything to go by, you will not be disappointed by the attention your query will get.

pentaxuser

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom