Happy Birthday, Walker Evans (1903-1975)

Seeds

A
Seeds

parallel lines

A
parallel lines

• Tel
  • Jan 28, 2023
a lamp in the vestry

A
a lamp in the vestry

• Tel
  • Jan 28, 2023
Cyanotype landscape

A
Cyanotype landscape

Breaking Storm

A
Breaking Storm

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sh8n8h8n
Recent bookmarks
Shooter
Medium Format
If you're ever in DC, the National Gallery print archive has a huge collection of his work. Call and make an appointment and they will let you sit and browse through the collection. It's an amazing experience to hold those vintage prints in your hands.

One thing that struck me was how Evans didn't seem to mind if the paper he printed on was cut into a triangle rather than a rectangle! He was obsessed with photography, not necessarily straight lines and the fine print aesthetic.

batwister

Shooter
Medium Format
Still a massive influence today on contemporary 'documentary style' work (his term) and social/cultural landscape.

He pretty much created that ubiquitous visual vocabulary that we've all used at some point; telephone wires and utility poles as formal devices, billboards and advertisements as both graphical and cultural statements, shop fronts and cars as historical anchor points. While Ansel Adams was battling with the concept of 'straight photography', Evans was actually out doing it.

Along with Paul Strand, he's one of the few historical photographers whose work gives me that 'wholesome' feeling. It's like eating a completely satisfying meal.

Black Dog

Shooter
Multi Format
Have a look at 'Walker Evans and Family' by Peter Galassi [and then check out Arget as well].

benjiboy

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
I'm a fan of Walker Evans,but don't think anyone can have a "happy birthday" when they are dead, however you can celebrate the anniversary of their birth if you wish.:smile:

dasBlute

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Walker Evans was more than a photographer. He delved into the psyche of America:
the expectations and realities, the roles we inhabit, the unspoken rules we live by,
the forces of habit, conformity, capitalism, and consumerism. In short, he held up
a mirror to ourselves and anyone who would follow us.

Hats off to Walker.

Books I own:

american photographs - the standard
the hungry eye - awesome little book
walker evans at work - shows how he worked a scene, thoughtful insights
walker evans and company
walker evans: decade by decade
walker evans, the museum of modern art

Last edited by a moderator:

Loren Sattler

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
One of my favorite photographers of all time. There is something special about the simplicity and story telling in his vision. I love his work.

ScarletBrown

Shooter
Plastic Cameras
Belated Happy Birthday !!!! Walker Evans and you are mine favorite photographer.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom