handcolored stereographs

Discussion in 'Wet and Dry Hybrid prints' started by dwross2, Apr 26, 2007.

1. dwross2

dwross2 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've spent the last month working on five stereographs for a show titled: The Bridges of Oregon" at the OSU LaSells Stewart Center. These are 9"x15" and meant for free-viewing (no optical aid). I figured it was a veerrryy long shot that any would be accepted, much less all five. The fact that they were speaks volumes to me - not about any particular artistic talent of mine, but that 'unexpected' photography is being embraced, even in a town that can be pretty linear (I'd never say 'conservative' about Corvallis :smile: ) Go Hybrids!

120 film> two b&w photographs> handcolored with dyes> scanned in paper frame> printed with Epson R2400

I posted a couple in the wet/dry galllery and here are a few more: http://dwrphotos.com/stereo/StereoThumbs.htm

Is anyone else working with stereos? There's actually quite a bit to understand about the optics. It is a whole new way of looking at things and I feel like I've barely scratched the surface.

2. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Great work Denise!

Don

3. Greg Lockrey

Greg Lockrey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice work Denise. I too have found that once I got into stereo photography that using a "half of a camera" doesn't quite do it for me anymore. I posted a few macro stereos in the "Life" folder for those that may be interested.

4. OP
    OP
    dwross2

dwross2 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Greg:

Very nice! All your images. I appreciate you giving us the heads-up on the posting to the gallery. I probably would have missed them. My time for computer things gets pretty fly-by this time of year. I posted this reply under the dandelion image in Gallery:

"That's really wonderful. I'm surprised it works so well with what I would have thought to be a shortage of plane cues. Could you explain a little about the concept of 'cross and parallel view'? "

The Loreo viewer worked very well. Keep posting - and if you have time, post more techical info. People who haven't discovered stereo are missing a lot of fun.

Denise

5. Greg Lockrey

Greg Lockrey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you for looking. "Cross view" is the same as "Free view" in that you have to cross your eyes slightly to see the 3D effect. Parrallel view is when you have to use a visual aid like a Loreo viewer. The photos are in "parrallel" like your eyes.

6. wiz

wiz Member

I learned to use the term "free view" as either cross viewing for reversed images on centers larger than interocular distance, or parallel images where each image is centered at interocular distance. Those are what we used to call "free viewing cards". A pair of 1.75 inch wide, 2.25 inch tall images side by side on a 2.75x3.5 inch card (I think I got the dimensions right). Hold it close to your face, maybe 3 inches, and pull it back slowly to 18 inches, and it just jumps solidly into proper viewing. No cross eyes or wall eyes.

7. wiz

wiz Member

Wow, wild that I should run into this thread. I just took a picture of my current rig. I normally use a slide-bar technique for stereo, shoot, move the camera an interocular distance, then shoot again. I have a Jasper slide bar, and I typically use a Manfrotto (aka Bogen) right angle bracket with it.

But I recently came up with a combination of brackets and quick releases that breaks down and fits into a lens space in my camera bag, yet goes together in several different ways for macro, stereo, and panorama.

I took a Manfrotto right angle bracket and removed that horrible old hex plate. Added a Markins Arca style clamp where you normally put the camera using the weird Manfrotto locking pin mechanism. Took a Manfrotto macro focusing rail (the worm screw geared version) and also gave it Arca plate and clamp. And a Novoflex macro focusing rail doesn't need an Arca plate (the entire bottom is milled in an Arca dovetail) but it did need an Arca clamp.

The end result is that the Manfrotto slider on the tripod lets me go left and right. I can do this quickly by pulling the gear disengage lever to get my left and right eye shots, or slowly and precisely by using the geared knobs to center the camera's entrance pupil over the axis of rotation for panorama shots.

The Manfrotto right angle bracket goes on the slider to turn the camera vertical, which I do for most stereo and panorama work. Since it's got the same releases as the ball head, the slider, and the camera, it's just pop one off and another on.

And the Novoflex rail can be used by itself for macro focusing, or on the L bracket to bring the lens fore and aft to get the entrance pupil over the axis of rotation longitudinally in addition to laterally with the Manfrotto slide.

Here's both rails and the right angle bracket, doing a quick left-right stereo shift.

8. wiz

wiz Member

OK, I took a few favorites and reformatted them for crosseye viewing in SterepPhoto Maker. These aren't hybrids, and they are nudes. You have been warned.

Stereo nude 1
    Stereo nude 2
    Stereo nude 3
    Stereo nude 4

The first one took 18 exposures. It was done with a slide bar: pose the girl at one window, take two shots for right and left eye, pose the girl again, two more shots. All the right eye shots get photoshopped into one image, all the left eye shots into the other.

9. OP
    OP
    dwross2

dwross2 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Wow Wiz, those are great images. I have to admit that they are a whole lot more interesting than the seaweed stereos I got this morning! And, I'll be chewing on your technical info for a day (at least).

10. wiz

wiz Member

You're quite welcome.

And I was supposed to be getting seaweed photos this morning, too. Of course, there would ahve been women in with the seaweed...

We were having a 4 day figure in the environment workshop at the dunes on the Lake Michigan shore (over by Saugatuck). But due to some schedule conflict of Bryce's, we had to cancel. I was really looking forward to that.

It gets worse, because my wife took advantage of me being at the dunes to go visit a friend of hers for 3 days, and now I'm not only not at the dunes, but I'm spending my birthday alone....
    :sad:

11. OP
    OP
    dwross2

dwross2 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    wiz:

Well, that's just not fair. You and your camera will have to get out and find something wonderful. At the very least: Happy Birthday!

12. wiz

wiz Member

Thank you.

And we can't really go out, it's raining and there's thunderstorm warnings. And I don't feel like rigging up for storm chasing. (I do that, occasionally).

13. Greg Lockrey

Greg Lockrey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    These are really fun images, Wiz.:smile: Impressive slide bar set up too. The Detroit area has no lack of old factory buildings does it? Are you a member of the Detroit Stereo Club?

14. Greg Lockrey

Greg Lockrey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Stereo Macro set up

This is the set up I use to make my macro stereoes. Canon 5D with a De Wijis 6.5 mm seperation f/90 for 3.6:1 ratio.