Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paul Thomas
Recent bookmarks

Annie

I have just acquired a Hacon 23 Technical (2 1/4 x 3 1/4) manufactured in 1951 by Haca Photographic in Canada... I don't imagine there were very many produced but I am just wondering if anyone has any info or experience with one of these little beauties...

Thanks, Annie

Dan Fromm

Shooter
Multi Format
I have just acquired a Hacon 23 Technical (2 1/4 x 3 1/4) manufactured in 1951 by Haca Photographic in Canada... I don't imagine there were very many produced but I am just wondering if anyone has any info or experience with one of these little beauties...

Thanks, Annie
Sorry I can't manage to give you a URL that works, but if you ask google to find this static.photo.net/attachments/bboard/00V/00VBu7-198453584.pdf‎ for you the first hit it returns will be a long buyers' guide that contains descriptions of Hacon 23 and 45 cameras. They sound like Linhof clones, of which there were many early post-WW II.

gordrob

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
A HACON Technical 23 was the first press camera that I acquired back in the early 70s. It is a nice compact camera with a lot of features. The Technical version has a Double Track - Triple Extension Bellows, revolving back, tilting back, side swings, drop bed, rising lens board and a backward tilt on the lens board. Mine has a standard spring back although Graflok type backs were also available. When collapsed it only measures 4 1/2" X 2 1/2". The camera was manufactured in Hamilton, Ontario Canada. I have only seen one other 2X3 Hacon over the years and very little information on them other than in adds in photo mags from the 1950s.

Gord

OP
OP

Annie

Thanks!

It is a great little camera I am looking forward to using it... mine also has the spring back. I have the original sale documentation and the brochure but no manual ... they sold for $140 in 1951... mine also has the Kalart R. finder add on for another $43.75 ... still works!! Gord do you happen to recall how to 'revolve' the back?

gordrob

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
To revolve the back you need to grasp the back above and below the spring back and twist it to the right or left. The back will revolve 360 degrees - it is suppose to click into position but my doesn't "click". I just align it to the body. The problem you might find is that it will be really stiff from not being revolved - mine takes a lot of pressure on it to get it to move. I am missing the Kalart rangefinder on mine so I use the wire sports finder with a 100mm lens. I still have some sheet film and a couple of Kodak film packs in the freezer that I hope to use with mine sometime soon.

OP
OP

Annie

image-2.jpg
image-2.jpg image.jpg

someone was inquiring about the Hacon and I couldn't get her photo attached to a private message... guess she wants to go public... let's see if this works

... best, Annie

Last edited by a moderator:

gordrob

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Your Hacon seems to be in pretty good condition with all the parts intact. There weren't to many of these made and the serial numbers apparently started at 1000. I have passed the thread onto Chris who was probably trying to contact you. He has a lot more knowledge on the Hacon. The serial number on mine is 10021 and Chris I think is 10022. Out of curiosity what is the number on yours.

Have you been able to use it very much.

Gord

OP
OP

Annie

Gord... she is in lovely condition... all original and the lens is clear and the bellows lighttight.
She seems to be the baby of the group at 1037... Her birthday is June 26 1951 !

cjhale

Shooter
Multi Format
Hacon23

Thanks for positing the photos, Annie and for your help with the sports finder drawings, Gord. Here's a couple of photos of my better Hacon--with a Schneider 4.5 Xenar lens. The other one has a 101 Ektar but since Haca Supply had the distribution rights for Schneider in Canada at one time the Xenar seems like a better fit. We have now located five (!) of the 37+ cameras implied by the serial numbers including Annie's, two of mine, Gords, and Tony P's. Only Annie's seems to be complete now but a sports finder is being fabricated for mine and Gord will receive a Kalart shortly to complete his so there will be at least four complete ones in existence. We should invite any other Hacon owners to join our gang of four and see how many are still out there.

Attachments

• _CJH7076.jpg
    _CJH7076.jpg
    530.1 KB · Views: 59
  • hacon23a.jpg
    hacon23a.jpg
    649.7 KB · Views: 63
OP
OP

Annie

IMG_0312.JPG

Here is a cell shot of the brochure... if that helps.

IMG_0306.JPG IMG_0309.JPG

ahhhh... little Hacon has sisters!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom