GW690III arrived with stuck film door...fixable?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by L_E_Miller, Dec 29, 2017.

1. L_E_Miller

L_E_Miller Member

Shooter:
    Hybrid
    Bought a GW690III on eBay from what seemed like a very reputable dealer.

Unfortunately it arrived with the film door release broken. You lift it up and nothing happens.

The frustrating part is I can see marks on the camera where someone clearly tried to pry the door open with a knife.

Is this something I might be able to fix myself? I'd really rather not pay return shipping to Japan if this is something I can deal with...

2. wyofilm

wyofilm Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you asked the seller to make it right? Some sellers work hard to maintain their ratings. For myself I don't buy ebay unless the seller is 99.x%+, and then if it isn't 100% I read the negative feedback.

3. OP
    OP
    L_E_Miller

L_E_Miller Member

Shooter:
    Hybrid
    Yes, I've already inquired about a refund. They had 99.3% feedback on nearly 4000 sales.

4. joby

joby Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    in order to release the film door, the tab needs to be flipped open and then pushed towards the bottom plate. took me a second to figure that out when i received mine today. hopefully that's all that is going on, if not, hopefully the seller makes it right.

good luck!

5. OP
    OP
    L_E_Miller

L_E_Miller Member

Shooter:
    Hybrid
    So that actually worked.

The fact that the door is covered in knife marks convinced me it was broken.

I suppose a previous owner couldn't figure it out either.

And then everyone was embarrassed.

Happy shooting!

6. joby

joby Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    yay!

now let both of our test rolls tomorrow be successful!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.