Greetings and a Question.

Discussion in 'Antiques and Collecting' started by Zebb41, May 9, 2018.

1. Zebb41

Zebb41 Member

Shooter:
    Digital
    Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. I come here because I have developed an interest in rangefinders and have purchased a few. I recently came upon a local ad for a Beauty Super ii that seems to look okay, but the image posted by the seller is awfully blurry, so I can't really tell what it looks like. The seller is asking $500.00 for the camera and some unspecified light meter. I think she's WAY overpriced, and I told her I thought as much. She asked me what I would give her, and without seeing the camera, I really don't know what to offer her. My thought is that if it is in decent shape, I would go as high as $75.00. I doubt she would go for it, but you never know. My question is this: Is that a fair price for the seller, or would I be lowballing her? I really don't want to insult her. Thanks, for any help anyone might offer.

2. Lee Rust

Lee Rust Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It never hurts to ask. The blurry picture decreased the value anyway. It all comes down to how much you want that Beauty vs how much the seller wants to get rid of it. How many old cameras have you seen online listed for ridiculous four-figure prices? It never hurts to ask.

3. Pentode

Pentode Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you’re in the correct ballpark, provided the camera is fully functional and only needs a little cleaning up. These cameras are well made and they’re nice shooters, but they’re not in high demand.

If the camera needs any actual repair I’d suggest walking away from any deal on it simply because you’re unlikely to find parts.

Ultimately, the value of any camera is the point at which the seller is willing to take what the buyer is willing to offer or vice versa. There are too many other factors involved to have any real rules. That said, a camera like that Beauty is likely to run $40-50 in user condition or $60-100 if it’s super clean, give or take. Personally, I wouldn’t pay the high end of either of those categories, but I’m cheap.

The added value of an unspecified light meter is... er... unspecified.

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    I either buy directly from a camera store where I can handle the camera, Photrio classified or Dead Link Removed. KEH conservatively grades cameras and lenses, has a great policy to take returns, exchanges or repairs of cameras and lenses. I have been using them for over ten years and spend thousands of $US and always been satisfied. If there was a problem, they fixed it. Once the purchased item was not up to snuff and they expedited shipped another one to me while I shipped the original back because I was leaving on a trip.

Welcome to APUG Photrio.

5. OP
    OP
    Zebb41

Zebb41 Member

Shooter:
    Digital
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I offered the woman a whopping $40.00. I don't expect her to accept that, and I even told her so, but I also saw that her ad is over a month old, so I also told her that if she still finds herself owning this camera after a few more weeks, she can send me a message. I will still be interested. I have yet to see what she says. I'd like it, but I'm not going to empty my wallet to get it. At the same time, it won't break my heart if she sells it to someone else.

6. Kino

Kino Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Beauty is a very nice camera, but the leaf shutter is prone to sticking and the lens focus tends to freeze after an extended period of storage due to solidifying lubricant.

I have 3 variations on the Beauty and all 3 have shutter problems that will require a tear-down of the shutter and cleaning. On one of the variants, the lens is frozen solid and will require cleaning and lubrication.

All 3 functioned to some degree when I first got them, but quickly gummed-up upon exercising the shutter.

$40 is about right if the camera is in good physical condition.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.