Multi Format
Thanks for sharing Jim.

CMoore

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
Well...Thank YOU.! :smile:
Maybe there IS some hope after all.
Mr. Mangnum is a VERY Interesting story. All new to me, thanks (again) for posting the link.
What a decent guy.....the type of person i like to think i would have been, if i were in his place.
It would be marvelous if the Heirs/Family of (some of at least) his clients could see these photos and have them for their family history.
It never ceases to amaze me, how important a photograph can be. They have that unique ability to Stop/Preserve time.
Anyway.......i would be happy (some day) to be half as important as Mr. Mangum is. :smile:

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I recently lived in Northern Virginia and I can report that I saw that Jim Crow is still alive and well there. :mad:

guangong

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Having grown up in the South during the era of segregation on the wrong side of the tracks, my own observations regarding these photographs and the method used to capture them, I would say that these were photographs of working people in their neighborhoods. I would also note that when I visited and lived in NYC, that there was a more complete actual segregation in NYC up through the late 50s, with huge areas such as Harlem, with large populations of black folks, and at the same time large areas with no blacks. Not legitimized as in much of the South, but still existed in reality. There was probably more social interaction between working blacks and working whites in those times in much of the South than in the North. The black and white working neighborhoods were separated but ragged and overlapping at the edges. As usual with NPR policies, no mention is ever made of which political party played, and still plays, the racial game.

AgX

Shooter
Multi Format
I find these photographs interesting too concerning fashion.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Having grown up in the South during the era of segregation on the wrong side of the tracks, my own observations regarding these photographs and the method used to capture them, I would say that these were photographs of working people in their neighborhoods. I would also note that when I visited and lived in NYC, that there was a more complete actual segregation in NYC up through the late 50s, with huge areas such as Harlem, with large populations of black folks, and at the same time large areas with no blacks. Not legitimized as in much of the South, but still existed in reality. There was probably more social interaction between working blacks and working whites in those times in much of the South than in the North. The black and white working neighborhoods were separated but ragged and overlapping at the edges. As usual with NPR policies, no mention is ever made of which political party played, and still plays, the racial game.

Martin Luther King said that in the South whites do not care how close a black gets as long as the black does not become more important than him, while in the North whites do not care how important a black gets as long as the black does not get close.

removed account4

Subscriber
Shooter
Hybrid
As usual with NPR policies, no mention is ever made of which political party played, and still plays, the racial game.
can you please keep politics out of a photography thread ??
ALL political parties play the racial game, and it is too bad

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom