Threads
Members
Latest member
Crit-ter85
Recent bookmarks

fralexis

Shooter
Large Format
I have recently begun using Barry Thornton's formula for film development and I really like it. Unfortunately I only get to make prints from time to time and am afraid my old stand-by, Dektol, has a short shelf life. Can anyone recommend a good developer for RC VC paper that can be mixed in small batches? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Keith Tapscott.

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I have recently begun using Barry Thornton's formula for film development and I really like it. Unfortunately I only get to make prints from time to time and am afraid my old stand-by, Dektol, has a short shelf life. Can anyone recommend a good developer for RC VC paper that can be mixed in small batches? Thanks.

Ilford PQ Universal is available in 500ml size bottles. It works perfectly well with graded and VC papers, both resin-coated and fibre-based.

JW PHOTO

Shooter
Medium Format
Ethol LPD would be something you might want to look into. Works extremely well and has great keeping qualities to boot. Not cheap, but not wasteful either. JohnW

mrred

Shooter
Multi Format
If you make your own, you can make as little or as much as you need. Have a look at http://www.jackspcs.com/pde72.htm . It works just like Dektol and as an ascorbic acid substituted, ingredients are strait forward to source.

Robert Ley

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I have started mixing D-72 as a replacement for Dektol and it works great. I think that you can get the formula at Jack's website. It is very similar to the E-72, but doesn't use ascorbic acid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mrred

Shooter
Multi Format
That is the attraction of E-72. It get's increasingly difficult to get suppliers to ship hydoquineone. Ascorbic acid is also safer for the environment.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
If you can find it, Kodak Polymax-T/Liquid Dektol is a liquid concentrate that has some similarities to HC-110 (as far as keeping qualities).

L Gebhardt

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
I use replenished Ansco 130 mixed 1:1. Lasts practically forever. I've recently been using some as replenisher that I misplaced three years ago and it still works well (stored in glass bottles with rubber stoppers). I've been replenishing by minimizing my drain time and washing some developer down the drain with each print. I then fill the 2 liter bottle back to the top with fresh developer mixed 1:1 at the end of the print session. The current mixed bottle has been going for about a year and still develops quickly with nice deep blacks. I do need to filter it every few print sessions to get rid of some black particulates that form.

Gerald C Koch

Shooter
Multi Format
That is the attraction of E-72. It get's increasingly difficult to get suppliers to ship hydoquineone. Ascorbic acid is also safer for the environment.

Any developer containing ascorbate needs to also contain a chelating agent for iron. Otherwise the developer may have a very short life due to the Fenton reaction.

pdeeh

Shooter
Multi Format
Gerald C Koch said:
a chelating agent for iron
Would EDTA be suitable? (of the readily available things)
If so, which form & how much?

jp498

Shooter
Multi Format
Dektol lasts great for me. I keep the extra stock solution from mixing up a gallon package is tight bottles with no air. It's good for at least 6 months or more.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom