Members
Latest member
Keezly
Recent bookmarks

Digidurst

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Hi all! I sure have learned alot from reading the various threads but I'm curious to know if there is a good book on the subject of chemistry in general? Something that will provide answers about how long chemistry will last, storage, Pyro vs. Rodinal vs. D76, etc.

I'm fairly new to darkroom work but I want to learn more. Would the "Darkroom Cookbook" be a good choice? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance everyone!

Jordan

Shooter
Multi Format
"Darkroom Cookbook" is pretty good but "Film Development Cookbook" would be better. There are a lot of people who take issue with some of the statements in that book, but the basic chemistry information will be there.

tomtom

Shooter
Multi Format
the film developing cookbook as well as the darkroom cookbook are good choices. i'd throw in a copy of "overexposure-health hazards in photography" by shaw and rossol if you want to be safe too. i have all three and i find them very helpful. when comparing one type of developer verses another the best advice i've seen is usually here on apug or unblinkingeye.

tomtom

Peter Schrager

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
Book

Digi-you can pick up a used copy of the PhotoLabIndex on Epay. I have an older one and it has lots and lots of formula and good bsic stuff. Can't go wrong here
Regards, Peter

ann

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
if you can find an edition of Morgan & Morgan, it will be very helpful as it contains a huge amount of information. The one i am referring too is the one that was updated on a yearly bases, including all specs sheets from everyone. There is a hardbound book with a similar name, so be careful as i don't think that is as complete.

I have the other books mentioned and reveiw them occasionaly, but find myself going back to the Morgan binder more often.

titrisol

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Mees (early editions)/ James (later editions) "The theory of the photographic process", is one of the best books available

OP
OP
Digidurst

Digidurst

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Hi Nick - I guess it's kinda hard to describe what I'm looking for. All the time on these forums we see questions about the best way to store chemicals, or why Pyro is behaving a certain way, what dilutions are best for a particular developer - you know all those little 'tricks of the trade' that are shared with such abundance here. That's wonderful but I'd love a basic primer to these concepts prior to posting specific questions. Make sense? Yeah, clear as mud, right :wink:

I think the 'Darkroom' and 'Film' books will help a good deal and they certainly can't hurt.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom