Gold Toner - how long does it last in stock?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by TheFlyingCamera, Jan 23, 2006.

1. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have some old (6+ years) bottles of Gold Chloride toner, still in the original boxes and bottles, never opened. Is it still useable for toning silver gelatin prints, or should I replace it?

2. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Why not try it and find our?

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think gold chloride in solution in a sealed bottle is very long lasting, but if mixed with an alkali it deteriorates in a matter of hours. I'm guessing the gold chloride is separate, so it probably is fine.

4. OP
    OP
    TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Because if I pop it open just to see if it's good, and it is, I'll have to toss a lot down the drain because I won't have a body of work ready for it. I don't know about you but I don't particularly enjoy throwing $80 down the sink. The bottle I have is a 1 gallon size.

5. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I can see the difficulty in fitting $80.00 down a drain, but not why Gold Chloride should go off when opened, always assuming that you put the top back on the bottle. I use the stuff a lot and find that it lasts many months, as I keep it in a sealed bottle between uses. The danger is in cross contamination, something to which it is very susceptible too, so I reserve a set of trays, funnels etc for its use. I would agree with David that it is almost certainly alright, but still say there is only one sure way to find out.

6. OP
    OP
    TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was worried about it as I have been told that once mixed to working strength, it only lasts 6-8 hours at working dilution, and even re-bottled with a good seal it is prone to fade quickly. I'll have to look around and see if I have a smaller size bottle of the same vintage, and give it a try in a clean tray.

7. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I should have added to my last post for clarity that I use Tetenal Gold Toner which comes ready mixed, and has a very good shelf life.

8. OP
    OP
    TheFlyingCamera

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What I have is the Berg Archival Gold toner, which comes in a Part A/Part B solution. You mix with a predetermined amount of water to get your working bath.