Members
Latest member
perfectiontips
Recent bookmarks

hoffy

Shooter
Multi Format
Howdy,

I was walking past my local camera store at lunch today and noticed that they had a Koni Omega Rapid in the window on consignment. Happy days, as this is one of my preferred rigs when I finally upgrade to MF. The big drama and the first thing I noticed is a crack on the Viewfinder glass.

Firstly, can anyone give me an indication on what it may be worth, considering the damage? Would something like the cracked lens be worthwhile fixing (or for that matter, even be able to be fixed in Australia)?

Cheers

Chazzy

Shooter
Multi Format
I don't know anything about Australian eBay, but American eBay has lots of Koni-Omegas for not much money. If I were in your shoes, I would wait for a nice Koni-Omega M or Rapid Omega 200 at a low price instead of accepting one with a damaged viewfinder.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Koni Omega Rapid takes different backs from the other Koni-Omega and Rapid Omega models, so if you buy one, it might be a little harder to find additional backs, which you will surely want to do eventually.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
If you are interested in a Koni-Omega Rapid M system, we should talk :smile:.

I have one, but I am coming to the realization that it isn't suited to me.

They are large and heavy though, so it might be expensive to ship.

Matt

OP
OP
hoffy

hoffy

Shooter
Multi Format
If you are interested in a Koni-Omega Rapid M system, we should talk :smile:.

I have one, but I am coming to the realization that it isn't suited to me.

They are large and heavy though, so it might be expensive to ship.

Matt

And thats what I am afraid of. While it sounds well and dandy to buy one from the US, shipping may make it prohibitive. I had a look at the auction site and could see a few, but mainly only in the US. One was going for a good price, others were asking what I would call unreasonable prices.

I should see what they want for the one on consignment. It was busy at lunch, so I didn't have the chance to ask

OP
OP
hoffy

hoffy

Shooter
Multi Format
OK, got some info on the camera. It is a rapid (if I am correct, this doesn't have interchangeable backs?), has the Standard 90 f3.5 lens. It also clearly has a crack on the front side view finder lens. According to the shop, this is quite common with these (?). They want $295au (which equates to $260 aprox US).

Considering the crack, I am thinking it may not be worth it.

polyglot

Shooter
Medium Format
Hi Hoffy,

I've bought all my MF stuff from the US, UK, etc. You can expect to pay $60 for shipping even a heavy item like a complete camera, which means that local one you're looking at is probably not worth it.

You could get a basic RB or RZ setup for slightly more and some very careful shopping - so you might pay $500ish instead, but once you see what your film and paper costs are, the extra $200 is irrelevant. You can easily get a manual Mamiya 645 setup for that price and in near-perfect condition. I would recommend spending the little extra and going with the well supported system that you can add to and grow.

Chazzy

Shooter
Multi Format
Hi Hoffy,

I've bought all my MF stuff from the US, UK, etc. You can expect to pay $60 for shipping even a heavy item like a complete camera, which means that local one you're looking at is probably not worth it.

You could get a basic RB or RZ setup for slightly more and some very careful shopping - so you might pay $500ish instead, but once you see what your film and paper costs are, the extra $200 is irrelevant. You can easily get a manual Mamiya 645 setup for that price and in near-perfect condition. I would recommend spending the little extra and going with the well supported system that you can add to and grow.

But the Koni-Omegas ARE system cameras, with interchangeable lenses and backs, and moreover they handle easily off a tripod. They have bright viewfinders, too. An SLR is not the camera for everyone.

Venchka

Shooter
35mm
Last summer, there was a guy in San Antonio, Texas begging me to buy his 100 for $125. He may still have it.

http://www.texasphotoforum.com/forum/buy-sell/68105-fs-koni-omega-rapid-100-a.html#post945905

rapidomega1.jpg

I owned a 100 in the early 70s. I still have some of my negatives from the 90mm lens. Great lens. Great camera. I always regretted not having the 200 and an extra back or two. On the other hand, I have a Pentax 6x7 and no extra backs.

OP
OP
hoffy

hoffy

Shooter
Multi Format
Thanks for the comments guys. I can see Polyglots point, as the Koni would not be overly common in Australia (at least not as common as the Mamiya's). I just like the idea of a MF range finder (not that I have ever used one before, even in 35mm!!!) without having to sell a kidney.

Re, the crack in the view finder, is there any substance in the claims that this is common?

Shooter
Med. Format RF
I have one with a slight crack too. Not common, but not uncommon either from what I have seen on e-bay. I'd be more worried whether the rangefinder is out if alignment as a result..

AUS295 is a tad steep! Is it a Rapid or a Rapid M (the latter have full magazines that can be swapped in and out mid-roll). Right now rhe exchnage rate is quite good for us...so...You can bet a good Rapid M for less than USD200 on the evilBay, which , when postage back to Oz is taken into account, gets you in for 250..and you can loo, see and wait and get even better deals. If you don't want to sap film mid roll, you can pick up a Rapid Omega 100 for USD100 or so. Has magazines that can be preloaded, but not swapped in and out once you've started shooting (well, technically they can, but then you'd fog the film...).

As to Koni-Omega vs Mamiya..horses for courses. you can't shoot a RB67 freehand for more than 2 frames..unless you've got wrestler wrists.. the ranger finder is clear, but you're are composing differently. I enjou both

Shooter
Med. Format RF
Yes to all...would suggest you do a google search and locate the free manual off www.butkus.org...that gives you a handle on the camera...
I have my third body arrive today and will swap out one of those that I have, to go on EvilBay soon, but need to do a bit of CLA on it first, esp. rangefinder adjustment.

Venchka

Shooter
35mm
Last summer, there was a guy in San Antonio, Texas begging me to buy his 100 for $125. He may still have it.

http://www.texasphotoforum.com/forum/buy-sell/68105-fs-koni-omega-rapid-100-a.html#post945905

rapidomega1.jpg

I owned a 100 in the early 70s. I still have some of my negatives from the 90mm lens. Great lens. Great camera. I always regretted not having the 200 and an extra back or two. On the other hand, I have a Pentax 6x7 and no extra backs.

...or buy this camera. With shipping, it should be under $200USD to Australia.

Shooter
Med. Format RF
if anyone has lenses, bodies or parts thereof for the Koni-OmegaFLEX going spare, drop me a line, please

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom