Getting perfectly straight, clear 35mm negatives

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by nickstreme, Mar 5, 2009.

1. nickstreme

nickstreme Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It never happens for me, no matter the film. Ive tried it all.

2. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What's your point?

3. Cruzingoose

Cruzingoose Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Clear Negs?

Perhaps just an observation, but it does seem like all the old B&W negs from years ago, (30s-70s) are perfectly clear. Today's negs are always pinkish, purplish, grayish, bluish or some not quite clear off color base. I'm doing a job of reprinting 100s of old 127s. They are beautifully clear. Too bad the subject material is'nt the same.

4. Graham.b

Graham.b Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I took a cutting of a end of roll Trx, and stuck in the fixer neat, it cleared then. Not tried it with the printed part of the neg.

5. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The old negatives looked much like today's. Very few bases dried flat. Some films had a built in gray layer to help with antihalation. Some bases were purplish or pinkish. On occasional polyester base was flat and clear, but that was the exception. It might be nice if film makers used the same sort of base an coatings they used on APS film, but that would be expensive and might have other drawbacks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.