Threads
Members
Latest member
stngoldberg
Recent bookmarks

pukalo

Shooter
35mm
Leaving for Japan Next Week. Will be a week long family vacation, visiting Tokyo and Kyoto. Want to photograph the Fall Colors among other things (also temples, ramen restaurant, etc)
Any advice on taking the Fuji GA645zi (55-60 4.5-6.9 zoom) Vs the 60 f4 ga645i?
Particularly from those who have been to Kyoto.

Down Under

Shooter
Multi Format
Take both.

There, problem solved!

Seriously, I would, if space in your travel cases isn't an issue. Ditto lots of film, much cheaper anywhere else than in Japan. Add two UVs, two lens hoods. That's it. Oh, and heaps and heaps of film. In 2012, I shot Portra, but if I ever return to the enchanted, magical, mystical, wonderful place that is Kyoto, I'll take Fuji Velvia.

But then those beautiful Kyoto autumn landscapes just cry out for wide angle shots.

If time allows before you fly out, you can consider trading your two GAs for a GA645wi, which will give you 16 images to a 120 roll, and has two shutter buttons. handy for those long vertical shots of lovely maples in multicolors. I've owned two GAi models (sadly both deceased) in my time, and if I were to ever buy another one, it will be the 645wi.

Or toss a coin, and let how it falls decide which camera you'll take. Heads, the 645zi. tails, the 645i.

Gosh, these First World Problems we have... (black humor alert :ninja:)

If you can find it, buy, beg or borrow one of the excellent books by Tuttle (US publishers) on the gardens of Kyoto. I did in 2012 when we went to Japan to see the fall colors. It will be your ideal guide to a unique experience.

And 良い旅 to you both.

PS I took two Rolleifex Ts with 16 exposure kits to Kyoto in 2012. Any camera will do. The subject is everything!

tezzasmall

Shooter
Plastic Cameras
I only own the 645zi, so I can't compare, but it's got to be my favourite MF camera. Not too heavy; hand hold-able; a good lens range and 120 film. What more does one want? :smile:

Enjoy the trip whatever you choose.

Terry S

4season

Shooter
Plastic Cameras
I've been to Kyoto on a couple of different occasions but don't know the city well. We must have walked along Shijo Dori, which I recall as bustling with activity in the evenings.

I never mastered shooting interiors or food on film, though I've been curious to see what's possible using only available light. It'll be a challenge with either of those two cameras for sure, as neither focuses particularly close or zooms especially wide, and you've got parallax to consider. If it were me, I'd accompany either of those two cameras with my Ricoh GR Digital which is well suited to working in close quarters and food photos in general.

mrosenlof

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
My last time in Kyoto was with a Fuji GW690. The slightly wide lens worked well for me. I'm mostly a fixed focal length kind of guy, so I would take the non-zoom. Tiny bit faster lens too.

Kyoto is mostly not a place of distant landscapes. You're there in the middle of whatever you are photographing. Mostly.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom