Members
Latest member
Rick W
Recent bookmarks

Fotoguy20d

Subscriber
Shooter
4x5 Format
FS: A quartet of 210mm lenses in Copal shutters. CW from top right, Computar Symmetrigon, Rodenstock Geronar, Osaka Commercial, Caltar-S II.

All need a good cleaning and dust removal. The Computar looks to have a couple of very small scratches on the rear glass. The Geronar is a triplet, the Osaka is an f6.3 Tessar type (there's a reason they used the word Commercial in the name), the Caltar -S II is a rebadged Symmar-S (and the only Plasmat of the lot). Im not sure what the construction of the Symmetrigon is but its a big beast (partly due to the removable hood). The Geronar is in a Rodenstock labeled, all black Copal. The others are chrome ringed. All have retaining rings. None have caps (actually, the Rodenstock has a rear cap)

I checked the shutter speeds with a Calumet tester. All are within 1/6 stop at 1 second. I didnt check the numbers for the rest of the speeds except to note that they all seem to be 1/6 to 1/3 stop up to 1/60s and then begin to deviate a bit more. I didnt notice much difference in speed on any of them between 1/250s and 1/400s. I can provide the timings if you want them.

Looking for $175 net to me for each.

Thanks,
Dan

IMG_0896.JPG

OP
OP

Fotoguy20d

Subscriber
Shooter
4x5 Format
$150 each... It's like buying a Copal 1 and getting glass for free...

Ian Grant

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I've a surfeit of 210mm (or close FL) lenses or I'd snap one or two of these up. But those prices are a steal for people wanting quality lenses around this focal length.

The Caltar S-II is as you say a re-badged Symmar S and they are wonderful lenses, it covers 7x5. I had mine a few years before I really began using it but the results are amongst my best images.

The Geronar is another gem, a modern Multi-Coated triplet, great at wider apertures for portraits but very sharp stopped down. (I have a 150mm & a 210mm).

Ian

OP
OP

Fotoguy20d

Subscriber
Shooter
4x5 Format
Symmetrigon is sold. Geronar is pending.

Caltar-S II is still available.

Thanks,
Dan

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom