Free Kodak Photo Paper * LOOK *

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by ishutteratthethought, Feb 18, 2009.

1. ishutteratthethought

ishutteratthethought Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2009
  2. Mr.Helberg^^

Mr.Helberg^^ Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    omg...stupidity kills good photo paper every day D:

3. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

4. Mr.Helberg^^

Mr.Helberg^^ Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yes the darwin adwards is a prime example of how stupid a human being can be----

5. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've seen auctions where the seller has opened a can of bulk film to show the contents and also where rolls of HIE were photographed outside of their canisters.

6. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think we should be a bit fair here. I don't know the particulars of the photo paper example but if your only point of reference was ink jet photo paper, opening the package would not be as stupid as it might appear to us.

So maybe not quite up to the level of the Darwin awards or even the bulk film example. Though still good for a chuckle.

7. Yes we do! F type paper IS photographic paper!

Steve

8. OP
    OP
    ishutteratthethought

ishutteratthethought Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yes this was just for a chuckle, obviously she didn't know any better.
    Steve

9. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, it is. You, me, and 99.999% (just an estimate) of APUG forum members know that.

But some people may never have been exposed (no pun intended) to photo paper that was not ink jet. So they have no experience with photo paper that is light sensitive.

My point is that most of us are experts in some things, knowledgeable in many things, and frankly ignorant of some things. Ignorance and stupidity are not necessarily the same.

10. Alexander Ghaffari

Alexander Ghaffari Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, I knew better as a five year old, who hardly ever took a picture, let alone knew much to do with photography. Yes, it is obviously traditional photographic paper. We need to quit giving stupidity breaks, as it only perpetuates the cycle of idiocy.

Ignorance is when you hand a Bible to an Aztec and say it is the word of God, and then that person holds it up to their ear...that is cute. Stupidity is completely different...

11. tim_walls

tim_walls Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Quite.

Tell you what - anyone who can't tell me immediately why the following bit of code written by some fule is hysterically funny, I officially declare to be an idiot worthy of the Darwin Awards:
    private static final String[] HEX_STRING_VALUES = {"0", "1", "2", "3", "4", "5", "6", "7", "8", "9", "10", "A", "B", "C", "D", "E", "F"};

[...]

StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder();
    for ( int h = 0; h < 6; h++ ) {
    int randomHex = randomGen.nextInt(HEX_STRING_VALUES.length);
    sb.append( HEX_STRING_VALUES[randomHex] );
    }
    //for some crazy reason, sometimes the loop above creates 7 chars.
    //that is why the below usees substring to get exactly 6 Hex chars.
    defaultVisualStyle.setColor( "0x" + sb.substring( 0, 6 ) );​
    And no, you're not allowed to go and look it up from TheDailyWTF (from whence it is borrowed.)

12. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorta reminds me of the old joke about the guy that always tested all of his flashbulbs after he bought them.

13. pesphoto

pesphoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Ive seen this done on ebay several times.....

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have never been able to get any exposure out of that ink jet photo paper. Seems really really slow, so slow I guess light doesn't bother it.

16. trexx

trexx Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    LOL They knew there was a problem and could not see it. OMG.

17. telkwa

telkwa Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

It took me a long time to figure that out. :mad: I knew something looked wrong with the string values, but after about 5 minutes I clued in.​

18. tim_walls

tim_walls Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Indeed :smile:.

Don't get me wrong - I thought the OP was funny too, it's just when it gets to calling people stupid or Darwin Award candidates that I think it crosses the line to hurtful and nasty. Maybe if the person making the cockup is an alleged professional you can take that attitude, but if it's just an ignorant - in the non pejorative sense - person the correct response is to laugh about it and educate them, not deride them.

19. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Did you expose the correct side of the ink jet paper?

In fairness, the OP never used the term "stupid".

20. And in fairness, the box is clearly marked "Open in total darkness".

[sigh]
    Steve

21. sun of sand

sun of sand Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    correct response is to laugh about it and educate them

22. wogster

wogster Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That one is sad, took me about 2 seconds to figure it out, and I haven't written code in about 3 years. The loop is right, but they are not making sure that sb is an empty string, not sure how StringBuilder works in this particular instance, but

StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder(""); // passes an empty char string

would probably work, or adding the line:

sb = ""; // set sb to be equal to an empty char string, the overload of = should let this work

should also work, this is pretty basic stuff, although it is a very common bug.

23. kevs

kevs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I agree with Tim. Until a few months ago, I didn't know how to drive. I wouldn't have known the clutch from the accelerator. And I should have learnt twenty years ago. I was ignorant in this area. Does this make me stupid?

However, the young woman was texting on her mobile telephone whilst driving was not only heading for a Darwin, she killed another young woman and is now in prison. And it wasn't just one text, it was twenty. Now *that's* real stupidity.

The OP's example is funny, but she didn't know any different.

(Maybe this thread should be moved to the Lounge. I dunno.)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2009
  24. In line with the thread but off topic:

In Southern California we have passenger train engineers who text teenagers while operating the train straight into a freight train, killing 25 people. If he was bent on offing himself, he should not have taken the rest of the people with him.

Steve

25. tim_walls

tim_walls Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    As Roy Walker used to say on Catchphrase - it's good, but it's not right.

Hint: new StringBuilder() "Constructs a string builder with no characters in it and an initial capacity of 16 characters," according to the Java spec - and I'd imagine the C#.net spec is much the same. Requiring an empty string to be passed in would actually be rather inefficient, requiring a new String instance to be instantiated (or referenced from the literal pool) just to be thrown away again immediately.

This problem is rather more fundamental, and isn't dependent on any understanding of particular API peculiarities. You should be able to spot this problem without any knowledge at all of the language it's written in.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009
  26. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Folks, the code writing references are entertaining, but probably unintentionally illustrative of how "innocent" the person who posted the original eBay listing is.

My only code writing experience is 30+ years old (remember Algol-W?) but I have some idea of what you are talking about.

The nature of the problem in the example code is "unintelligible" to anyone not familiar the syntax of that particular language. I expect, however, that if one was to become familiar with that syntax, it might very well be easily evident what the problem is.

I also expect that the notation on the outside of a box of photographic paper that says "Open only in complete darkness" will only be meaningful to someone who has some understanding of what is in the box, and therefore knows enough to notice the warning in the first place. In other words, if you don't understand the syntax (closely related to the context) you probably won't notice the warning, and may not appreciate it even if you do.)

Matt