Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coralluxurycleaning
Recent bookmarks
Shooter
Large Format
OK, I know that second only to great photographs or out photographing for photographers is food or more to the point where to go. So I'm asking all you western half of the US. Where is the best place to eat while out on a fieldtrip.
An example for me is I took a John Sexton workshop and we went as a group to a dinner in Carmel Valley that had the best Cheese/chili soup.
Lets share.
I don't want any of that Scotish dinner McDonald's!

noseoil

Shooter
Multi Format
In the Tucson area, this is a no brainer. Best Mexican restaurant, for my vote, goes to El Torrero. Don't know the address, but it is at south 4th avenue and 26th street (north west corner), just behind the pawn shop, so you won't find it unless some one tells you about it. Wonderful Sonoran style food, great staff, "interesting" atmosphere and very inexpensive prices. Same owners and waitresses for many years and incredible food.

BruceN

Shooter
Multi Format
Cameo on 82nd and Sandy in Portland. Perfect place to go for breakfast after photographing the sunrise. They have jugs of REAL maple syrup on every table and sell their delicious pancakes by the acre. :smile:

Bruce

Monophoto

Shooter
Multi Format
San Francisco - that's a place where it's hard to get a bad meal. Really like the Asian places, especially Thai. Also the seafood.

Mountain View - anything along Castro Street (that's why the locals call it "gastro street")

Napa Valley - Trevigne

Monterey - Rapa's at the end of Fisherman's Wharf is great for lunch

mark

Tucson-What Nose said , or EL-Menudo
Cortez CO-Fiesta Mexicana, The Homesteader, Cortez Brewery, Dry Dock
Mancos CO-Can't remember the name but it is right next to the big victorian house
La Plata CO-Kennebec Cafe and bakery
Durango CO-Texas bar-B-Q place, Mamas Boy, Lady Falconburgh, East by Southwest
Albuquerque NM-Gardunios, Little Anitas, Macaroni Grill
Gallup MN- Jerry's Cafe, Grandpa's Grill

Yep I eat out alot when I am on the road. Especially in the winter. These are where I like to go. In the SUmmer, in the mountains go to a grocery or deli get a sandwich and eat it in the aspens or pines. Everything tastes better outside, even Balogna

eric

Shooter
Multi Format
If you are down near San Diego, in Encinitas, there's a place called "La Especial Norte". Best I've had in the area. They were in last year's Saveur magazines. They have about a dozen mexican soups to try out. Its a couple of blocks off the beach which is nice.

etriplett

Shooter
Multi Format
La Especial Norte packs them in for miles...don't forget the Sunday Menudo to cure that hang-over...nothing like tripe in the morning...

roteague

Shooter
4x5 Format
Ohau -

"The Pyramids" - Egyptian food and belly dancing. Located in the Kapahulu District of Honolulu, near Waikiki.

Kauai -

"Keoki's Paradise" - Poipu Beach
http://www.keokisparadise.com/

Robert Hall

Shooter
8x10 Format
Utah

Here's my suggestions...

In Brigham City: Idle Isle
In Park City: Ciceros
Moab: Zax Wood Fired Pizza 96 South Main Street,
Moab Brewery 686 South Main
St. George: Cafe Rio on the blvd
Zion: Hamberger joint on the east side. On the west, Zion Pasta and Noodle http://www.zionpizzanoodle.com/menu.html

Shmoo

Shooter
4x5 Format
Hard to go wrong in L.A., but my favorite place is in Santa Monica, called JiRaffe...but you'll spend enough on one meal to buy a couple of 50 sheet boxes of Tri-X! Roasted rack of lamb, pear & walnut salad...groannnnnn.

Fast food tacos? Tito's Tacos on Washington. Home cooked Mexican? Tia Juana's on Olympic. All in West L.A.

Now I'm hungry...

Kirk Keyes

Shooter
4x5 Format
Oregon
Blue Devil Cafe - Condon, OR
Fields Cafe - Fields, OR
East Wind Drive-In - Cascade Locks, OR
Super Burrito Express - Milwaukie, OR (OK - that's for when I'm at home)

Utah
Brink's Burgers - Torrey, UT
Twin Rocks Cafe - Bluff, UT - Internet access too!
Bit & Spur - Springdale, UT
Houston's Trail End - Kanab, UT
La Hacienda - Moab, UT
Quizno's - Tremonton, UT (at the Shell Station off I-84)

Arizona
Bella Napoli - Page, AZ
Sonic Burger - Page, AZ

Nevada
Bruno's - Gerlach, NV

glbeas

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
An excellent place we just visited on the north side of Atlanta, Maggianos. Italian food you would die for.

SchwinnParamount

Subscriber
Shooter
4x5 Format
Tacoma - el Gaucho's for sure. It's a steak house but you should try the 'Wicked Shrimp'. Mike, you ever been there on a lunch hour?

kiku

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
San Francisco: "Scomas" on Fisherman's Wharf. Absolutly the best!

Los Angeles: "Pinks" for chili dogs. Located on La Brea & Melrose, near "Hollywood". "Freestyle Photo" is just a few miles east.

Bon Appetit, Kiku

VoidoidRamone

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
glbeas said:
An excellent place we just visited on the north side of Atlanta, Maggianos. Italian food you would die for.

Maggianos is a big chain, and I too recommend them. There are two in CO. If you are up near Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park (or in Winter Park that is...) Hernando's is the best for pizza, especially the "Simone" which is a white (garlic, no red sauce) pizza.
-Grant

Louis Nargi

Shooter
4x5 Format
If any of you ever come though connecticut and its pizza your looking for try Pepe's or Sally's both on Wooster street in New Haven. They still use coal to fuel there ovens, it seems to make a differance. Its been said its the best pizza in the world.

Kirk Keyes

Shooter
4x5 Format
Louis Nargi said:
They still use coal to fuel there ovens, it seems to make a differance.

It's all those polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons boiling out of the burning coal that probably gives it the extra flavor!

glbeas

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Kirk Keyes said:
It's all those polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons boiling out of the burning coal that probably gives it the extra flavor!

That and the fact you can have a 700-800F degree oven!

Louis Nargi

Shooter
4x5 Format
Kirk Keyes said:
Nothing like a little extra flavor.

glbeas

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
We have a chain called Chicagos that cooks up some darn good meals. Got one just down the road from here. They are associated with the Bitter End seafood restaurant, and they do quite a good job too.

Kirk Keyes

Shooter
4x5 Format
Louis Nargi said:
Nothing like a little extra flavor.

Mmmmm - Amen to that!

For Chicago - I always stop by the local Vienna Beef shop and get a Combo. Italian beef and a sausage on a bun - I want to meet the genious that thought that simple idea up.

kjsphoto

Subscriber
Shooter
Sub 35mm
Grocery store and buy what ya need. That is what I do and just bring a smal cooler.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom