Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoman44
Recent bookmarks

Stregone

Shooter
35mm
I am developing some fomapan 400 for the first time, and just did a fixer clip test. The film cleared in about 30 seconds. Thats way shorter than the ~3 minutes I have had with tri-x. Should I really only fix for 1 minute, or should I do it for longer?

Thanks!

Shooter
Multi Format
Did you simply fix the strip or did you run it through your entire process? 30 sec sounds like there was no developer to be countered thus lengthening the fix time.

fschifano

Shooter
Multi Format
Fomapan 400, along with Foma 100 and Foma 200 all fix out really fast in rapid fixer. Thirty seconds sounds right for a clearing time in fresh, ammonium thiosulfate (rapid) fixer. I use small chips of the stuff as test strips for fixer all the time and your experience is consistent with my observations for dry, undeveloped, film in fresh fixer. Once it's wet and some of the silver is developed, it should be, theoretically at least, a little faster. So yes 2 to 3 times the clearing time is right on the money, but if you go for 3 or 4 minutes there is no harm done and you are sure to have complete fixation.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom