Flying with developer

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Jarvman, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Jarvman

Jarvman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No I haven't been sniffing or drinking it! I'm going to New York in the morning and will be making a visit to B+H. The most exciting part of the trip for me! I saw that they have Pyro PMK there which is something I want to try and its a lot cheaper than here. Is there any problems bringing the stuff back into the country in the hold luggage? :confused:

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've flown many times with developers, both liquid & powdered, in my hold luggage from the US to the UK and UK to Turkey with no problems.

Ian

3. OP
    OP
    Jarvman

Jarvman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ah ok, cheers. I'll need another suitcase then. :D

4. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just don't go overboard, like I did. The last itme I was at b&h I brougt back a gallon of glacial acetic acid.

Fortunately I was driving my own car, so there were no big accusations at crossing back into Canada about what terrorist act I might have been planning what that in that jug. I figured that I was not likely to be around again with space in the trunk, and it was only 5x what I pay locally for indicator stop bath, when I use it.

The other plus is I will never need to run out to buy vinegar when making pickles in the fall for many years either.

If you want real paperwork fun, try buying bulk sodium hydroxide. Another hobby is soap making, and red devil lye is getting hard to find, and rather pricy in comparison. For the csot of 17 batches of soap using a can of red devil lye I now have a much larger bag (actually it is now in two well sealed plastic pails, that will make 93 batches worth of soap. I bought this locally. I thought if I tried to drive that across the border the DEA would have the RCMP turning my darkroom and the rest of my basement upside down looking for the clandestine drug lab that does not exist.

5. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You are going to love B&H. It is an amazing place.

I don't know if B&H has the powdered version of PMK, but if they do, you could get that instead. It's relatively easy to mix.

6. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The first ambrotype setup I saw was being carried around in the trunk of an old car. When the guy popped the lid and I saw all of those chemicals, some not in their original containers, I laughed to think that a cop would think he'd busted a mobile meth lab if he saw it.

7. OP
    OP
    Jarvman

Jarvman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It got back without any problems, just a lovely bandage of airport security 'searched' tape around it. I never brought back enough of the photographers formulary T-4 fixer though. Could anybody suggest an alternative fixer for use with pyro I can buy in the UK?

http://www.jackspcs.com/tf4.htm

8. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fotospeed sell an Alkali fixer but don't offer much in the way of information sheets etc. Also, it isn't a rapid fix, so 7 minutes fix time for a FB print. Film fixing times aren't so long, 4 or 5 minutes.

Ole Tjugen has posted an Alkali fix and TF-3 has also been published. However, I have seen references indicating standard ILFORD HYPAM can be used.

Tom.

9. OP
    OP
    Jarvman

Jarvman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cheers Tom

10. Tom A

Tom A Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. Metroman

Metroman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here in the UK Retro Photographic stock the Moersch Alkaline Fixer concentrate in 1 litre bottles.

Retro Photographic

12. dancqu

dancqu Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My usual time using very dilute 'slow' fixer
    is within 4 minutes. It is though fresh each
    sheet; a one-shot. Dan

13. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dan,

One of the major issues with the Fotospeed fixer is a lack of adequate exposition on how to make best use of the product. Compare this to the PDF for ILFORD HYPAM which gives a good overview of the product.

Tom.

14. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ilford Hypam works well with Pyro developers. Compared to TF-4 I haven't seen any problems with the stain being affected. I've used it for the last 3 years, and prior to that TF-4, so I have lots of negatives with both fixers, and I really can't tell them apart, either in scan or print.

- Thomas