Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anthony_
Recent bookmarks
Shooter
35mm
I recently posted a question about scrapes and dust on my scanned jpegs from my first roll of 35mm film (or any film) in decades and got great help. Now, I'd like to take a step back and get some additional information on the developing process and results. So, my questions are:

1. Of the 36 exposures, only 25 were scanned and provided to me. So, about 11 of the exposures appear completely clear on the negatives, meaning completely black in the exposure--I assume this was user error although I was in aperture priority mode on the Nikon FE and didn't NOTICE anything unusual while taking the pictures (I believe in aperture priority mode--i.e., "auto"--the camera shows me the shutter speed needed for proper exposure on the left side (the moving needle) and as I recall the selected shutter speeds were fast--1/250 or 1/500ish). The problems were with exposures 1, 4, 8, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, and 17. Maybe by then I had figured it out? But if this is the case I would not have expected 25 perfect exposures and 11 completely terrible ones. Rather, I would have expected some in the middle (nearly black rather than completely black). This makes me think maybe there could be a problem with the shutter?

P_20181007_083556_vHDR_Auto.jpg

2. Two of the pictures were very cloudy--not sure if this is from light hitting the front element of the lens? It's possible but I thought I was being careful about that. Does this look familiar to anyone?

small-00527.jpg

Thanks again.

Svenedin

Shooter
Med. Format RF
Is it my imagination or is there something there in those apparently blank frames? I often get blank frames on my Olympus OM4-Ti because there no shutter release lock and the camera get triggered in my backpack

pentaxuser

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
As it's the first roll for years then you and we have nothing against which to make a sensible judgement i.e. there is not a "before and after" as yet. It certainly looks as if the shutter didn't fire on the blank frames or if it made the noise of firing the curtains did not open. It seems to be random except beyond frame 25 when it consistently hasn't worked.

Try opening the back and firing the shutter at all the shutter speeds to see if there is an issue and if so is it at certain speeds. If the curtains do not open at all then it would seem that the problem was intermittent until frame 25 then has become permanent. If so, a service is called for. Let us know how you get on. Even if it still works but not everytime then I'd get a service. There is nothing worse than never knowing when an exposure has been made.

Thanks

pentaxuser

BrianShaw

Shooter
Multi Format
Have the camera checked out. Those frames aren’t poorly exposed, they are unexposed. Or exposed with the lens cap on. Or something ring with the film advance mechanism where it’s not stopping at each frame and you inadvertently advance multiple frames... but you’d probably remember that happening.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom