Threads
Members
Latest member
LucyJoanP2975
Recent bookmarks

vanderwaterk

Shooter
35mm
I'm sure this has been talking about before, but i'm still confused. I'm going to be buying my first MF and i already know it's going to be a hasselblad 500 series as i've wanted on for along time. Now i've never used a MF before and was wondering which series would be the best for a first-timer and money isn't that big of deal as long as i stay under 2g's. with so many camera's in the 500 series i'm confused as to which would be the best one for me:
I shoot mostly landscape and venture into the city sometimes to shoot.
any thoughts?:confused:

Q.G.

Shooter
Medium Format
The latest: a 503 CW.

Mostly, because they haven't been around as long as the earliest (since 1996, vs 1957), so the chance to get one that has been completely run down is smaller.

This page gives a short description of the model history, listing the features that were added (or dropped) at every step in the evolution.

chriscrawfordphoto

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
If you can afford it, I agree with QG on the later models. I have a 503CX, which the 503CW that QG mentioned replaced. They're very similar, but the newer one has a different mirror setup (the 'gliding mirror') that makes it work better with very long lenses, if that's important to you.

I used to have one of the old 500C cameras, made in 1964, and it was worn badly, though it actually worked well. I like my newer Hasselblad better though, it feels like it will last my lifetime. Another thing, if you don't mind the extra cost, try to get CF series lenses, not the older C series. The C series are generally good optically (A couple of the wideangles improved optically in the CF series, but the normal and tele lenses were usually the same optical formula). The thing I don't like about the older ones is ergonomics. The thinner focusing rings of the C series lenses are harder to use and the aperture/shutter speed setting system is maddening. The aperture and shutter speed rings are locked together on the older lenses, and you have to push out on the aperture ring to disconnect it from the shutter ring. The lock is designed so you can set exposure then move up and down through the aperture/shutter range without changing the basic exposure set. I hate it, its a damned pain to work with. The CF series are unlocked by default and can be interlocked by pushing a button. I like that much better.

If you do like Wideangles, I know from experience that the CF-FLE version of the 50mm Distagon is a heck of a lot sharper (especially near the edges) than the C and CF (non-FLE) versions of the lens (C and CF non FLE versions are the same optical formula, the CF-FLE version is different).

Dan Henderson

Shooter
4x5 Format
I have never used nor am I that familiar with the 503 models. But I do have a 500 and 501 CM bodies. The 500 is fairly old and used to jam on me frequently. So I purchased a newer 501 body before an overseas shooting trip for insurance. I am completely satisfied with and highly recommend a good condition 501CM. It has the gliding mirror system mentioned above. I would suggest that unless the advanced electronic features of the 503 cameras are important to you, a 501CM would be every bit as good as the 503, but with less electronics to cause problems.

mikebarger

Shooter
Multi Format
Do all of the 501cm's have the gliding mirror? Is it correct the ELX also has the gliding mirror?

Thanks

Q.G.

Shooter
Medium Format
All the 501 CMs do indeed have the bigger mirror.
But mind you 501 Cs (without the "M") do not. Don't get the two mixed up.

Yes, both ELX models, and the ELD, do have the larger mirror as well.
So do all 2000- and 200-series focal plane shuter Hasselblads.

mikebarger

Shooter
Multi Format
Thanks Q.G.

I suspect the cheapest body w/gliding mirror might be the ELX, after checking a few ebay auctions.

Mike

Q.G.

Shooter
Medium Format
Could well be, yes.
Great cameras. Don't let the extra bulk scare you. When not on a tripod, it handles just fine.

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I have the 503 CX, no gliding mirror, not a big deal with the 150mm and 250mm lenses.

Steve

epatsellis

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I'd agree with Q.G., I have an EL and besides not having to worry about winding, the body is alleged to be more robust, I find the extra mass to make it more stable handheld as well. Regardless of the lens you buy, (I prefer the C lens' ergonomics myself) be sure to get a good compendium shade and use it religiously, the difference is not subtle.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom