Filters in Contact Printing

Discussion in 'Contact Printing' started by Simplicius, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Simplicius

Simplicius Subscriber

Shooter:
    Analog
    I an wondering what others people thoughts on this are, I use a standard Paterson contact printed for both 35mm and MF.

I generally print contact sheets with the contrast set to 2 on the multi-grade head or if using hand held filters I hold a 2 filter under lens. my logic is i tend to print 80% of my stuff at this grade.

Does this make a difference through the glass ? am i just wasting energy ? does anyone else do this? thoughts please

2. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, you are getting the contrast grade you are printing to through the glass. I vary contrast with VC paper all the time while contact printing 8x10. If the glass has a bit of a tint I suppose it could have some effect by slightly shifting the wavelength with VC paper, but it would be very minor.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2009
  3. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not enough to make a difference. I see maybe about 1/3 stop of light loss from the glass, but I'm using plain old window glass without any AR coating.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.