FILM VS DIGITAL !

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by jnanian, May 14, 2018.

1. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    is the film vs digital debate over yet ?
    does anyone still care one way or another ??

it is 2018 ... why can't people just let people do what they want ...
    and why do people have to get so worked up about any of this ...

thanks

2. Ces1um

Ces1um Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some people must care because these kind of threads keep popping up all the time...

3. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I generally don't care about what others do. However, I realized that the reason for many films got discontinued and price of film went up because others stop using film. Still I can't blame them.
    Personally I think digital is better than film and I don't want to say why. I do like to use film as it's more fun.

4. Luckless

Luckless Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I very much care about film vs digital, much the same way as I care about torx head vs hex head screws and bolts: Use the tool suited towards the task. If you have a torx head screw, then there isn't much sense reaching for a different kind of screw driver to try and deal with it.

My film and digital gear give me very different looks, so I will use the camera that will do the job I'm asking of it. Much like how my 6x6 medium format images don't have the same qualities as what I get from my 4x5 press camera. I don't shoot my large format in the same way or try to get the same images as what I do when I'm using the medium format TLR, and I don't expect my digital camera to give me the same photos as my film cameras, nor do I expect the same results from my film cameras as I do the digital.

Do I want to widely document a fast paced sports game? - I'll take the digital with a high capacity card and dual batteries, put it to burst mode, and fire off series of images to review after the fact and still have edited photos posted that evening. Then I might decide to take the film camera to the next game to take far fewer images on a far slower turn around time. The resulting photos are not remotely alike, nor where they shoot in remotely the same manner. They both get care and attention to detail, as a string of photos taken when nothing of interest is happening is equally useless as a careless photo on film where nothing of value was captured, but on the bright side the digital images aren't nearly as bothersome when useless ones come up during review.

:tongue: I have more blurry photos on film from bumping the shutter release by mistake than I would care to openly admit to, so I won't name a specific number here. Mistakes happen regardless of gear after all.

5. peter k.

peter k. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

jnanian ... your imp must be up... well will see how many pages it goes this time.. :cry:

6. nmp

nmp Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I declare the issue dead. Please refrain from any further comments.

7. Pioneer

Pioneer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nah. It is all the same.

8. Pioneer

Pioneer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nah. It is all the same.

9. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    There is no debate. I decided that film is better except for remote sensing from aircraft and spacecraft. Others may differ but they are just plain wrong, so who cares what they think. It is over and done. :angel:

10. slackercrurster

slackercrurster Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OP...they get attached to doing things one way. Some people adapt, other can't. One guy told me if they stopped making film he would quit photography.

11. OP
    OP
    jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    maybe ..
    i think there are some folks who use both yet when they use the filmy thing and someone makes a comment
    they act as if the eley thing is like satans lunch and get all wigged out, yet when they get home they send the film to the lab
    and skran the filmy bits ..

im glad its a dead issue, cause my feet hurt

12. awty

awty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about a physical print verses a cyber pictures.
    The only reason I work with film is to make a print (one day I might do a good one). I dont have any great problem with a digital prints, just prefer hand made stuff.
    I know so many people who have truck loads of negatives or digital files and never make a print....wats the point?

13. OP
    OP
    jnanian

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    taht'ts what im askin ...
    cause a lot of times there is no point ..
    people have negatives they don't print but scans they don't print either ,
    but at least they look at the scans ..
    its like popeel who shoot chromes who think they re the be all and end all
    and shoot like small or 4x5 or 8x10 chromes but like 10mins when the y get them back from
    the lab or dump their toxic waste down their kitchen sink ,,, and the film is dry
    they either scan it or never look at it again ../
    at least with the DTHING people share it with others .. i guess ...

Last edited: May 14, 2018
  14. Sponsored Ad
  15. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Care? Not me. Not really.

16. Helios 1984

Helios 1984 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    How is it different from having thousands of slides which are intended to be projected on a screen with a projector?

17. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Groups:
    It is a known psychological block. For many, they are in rapture over the technology that is affordable and accessible in their own hands; to them, photographing something and seeing it displayed on their screen is the finished product — they rarely (for many, not at all) print — the image is there, in front of them, on their 64" unprofiled/uncalibirated monitor.

Now take my situation: I rarely use digital now (or print from it), but I print from transparency film at least $3,000 each month, RA-4 and giclée. I do not see anybody involved in digital actually printing at the labs, but there are a fair number of multiformat analogue shooters (surprisingly, 4x5 among them) and large scale commercial work (that stuff is ultra-expensive).

My late two aunties pointed out to me in the 1970s that "...there is little point in you taking up photography if you are not going to print your work!"

18. Saganich

Saganich Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Only digital images beamed into outer space will survive.

19. awty

awty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    People with slides still get some printed. I only print about 10% of my negatives and only a hand full of them will go on the wall, but to me theres nothing like having a physical picture to look at.
    I meet with a film photography group fortnightly and 3/4 have never bought a single print in digital or other wise. Some rarely if ever develop any film...WTF!
    Not so many years ago you had to wait in line to make some digital prints at the local department store, now the machines are deserted. Wont be long before they are removed and like film you will need to send away to get a print.

20. Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson Subscriber

A smartpnone with a telephoto lens like the Huawei P20 Pro and a separate flash like the Godox A1( there seems to be no android app yet).would mean no need to carry a digital camera , can take film camera alone. But not yet.

21. blockend

blockend Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    When I'm completely hacked off scanning negatives I return to digital for a few months each year. This usually occurs at the end of summer when I'm shooting a couple of films a day, and processing at home. It literally takes all my spare time.

The cure has been to re-establish a darkroom, make prints and use digital for moving images (brilliant!), sending photographs through email and posting on eBay.

22. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That horse has been beaten into a smear on the sidewalk. Enough.

23. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alas, that's the problem.

24. Ko.Fe.

Ko.Fe. Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    It will go on as long film is made. By now and for sometime it looks stupid long time already. Nobody is bashing tintype and collodion, yet, film is exactly the same - emulsion on the surface.
    Bashing digital is also stupid. It is like bashing eating with spoon.
    And where are folks who couldn't see the elephant in the room. Those with typical comment - we looked at the images and we can't see the difference between film and digital. Sorry, if you are not able to see it, it doesn't show what here is no diffrence. It just bunch of folks like you who can't see it.
    And this bunch actually is very large and deep basket :smile:

25. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I can buy a full-frame 4x5 200mp sensor with capable laptop for less than US$2000, I'll switch to digital.

26. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why do people get their nickers in a knot and attack those that bring up digital stuff? Lack of maturity. Plain and simple.

I shoot both and get great satisfaction from both. However I understand and can accept that there are those that only want to use either analog or digital. They pick one that "works for them" on some level. Their ability to accept that their choice may not be the best solution for everyone is determined by that persons level of maturity IMHO.

You would think I would have loads of time to play in the darkroom now that I am retired. The truth is I have far less! That will change eventually but in the meantime I still want to express my creative self through photography. Digital works best for me, for now.