Members
Latest member
Rick W
Recent bookmarks

BobClack

Shooter
Multi Format
Hi folks,

I recently picked up a Kodak Premo Junior 3 (3 1/4" x 4 1/4" film).

Question 1- Of course, Premo took Premo film packs but does it also take a Kodak3 1/4" x 4 1/4" film pack from
the 50s/60s?

Question 2- Would the Premo take an Ansco or other company's film pack of the same
dimensions?

Question 3- I don't believe an adapter is needed for this Premo model, but if anyone knows different,
please advise.

I'm dreading wasting a film pack and finding out the hard way that it just ain't gonna work.

Thank you in advance.

Bob

Jim Noel

Shooter
Large Format
The camera will take anyone's film pack. The big problem is finding one. They have not been made for many years. I believe Kodak Tri-X was the last one manufactured. You do not need an adapter for the Premo if it has not been altered by a previous owner.

OP
OP
BobClack

BobClack

Shooter
Multi Format
Jim,

Thanks very much for the info. I've managed to pick up a few well-dated Tri-Xs and Anscos and am now looking forward to giving it a go. Good to know that one of the packs will not be a "waster" as this is my first experience with this camera and with film packs.

Also, I don't believe anyone has altered the camera, so good news there.

Again, thanks.

Bob

mopar_guy

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
For Tri-X film Packs, I would use an exposure index of about 100 and try to get extra contrast through development. I tried one about six months ago and was pleasantly surprised.

OP
OP
BobClack

BobClack

Shooter
Multi Format
Dave,

Thank you for the tip. Yes, I'll be brand new at developing this film as well so it's greatly appreciated. Will post results as they come in (after I get by whatever initial mistakes are in store)!

Thanks once again,

Bob

gordrob

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
The nice thing about the film packs is that you could expose any number of sheets of film and than "rob" the pack and process just those that you have exposed. To test the pack you could expose one sheet, replace the dark slide and than take the pack to the darkroom, open it in the dark and take out the exposed sheet and process it. After evaluating the negative you then could make any adjustments to your exposure to carry on from there. Instructions on how to open the pack to "rob" it in the dark are included in the Kodak instruction sheet. Be careful in the dark when you "rob" the pack because there are metal edges on the pack that could cut you.

Gord

OP
OP
BobClack

BobClack

Shooter
Multi Format
Gord,

Thanks for the "robbery" info! Yeah, any locateable film for this camera will be "tricky" at best and require serious testing. And thanks for the tip about the metal edge!

Bob

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom