Threads
Members
Latest member
rmurthy2
Recent bookmarks

George Mann

Shooter
35mm
Every time I see the title of this thread, I shake my head in amazement of how dumb such a premise can be. Are we to the point to where we lack the intellect to be able to so easily confuse the interest in vintage film cameras with the state of film usage/availability itself?

BradS

Shooter
35mm
Every time I see the title of this thread, I shake my head in amazement of how dumb such a premise can be. Are we to the point to where we lack the intellect to be able to so easily confuse the interest in vintage film cameras with the state of film usage/availability itself?

Wait...are you suggesting that people buy film cameras but do not buy copious quantities of film ?
Sounds pretty crazy to me! :smile:

OP
OP
Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format

Article authors have been known to publish silly titles and articles.

Agulliver

Shooter
Multi Format
I did think that the whole point of the article was that people are buying up vintage cameras and running lots of film through them, also buying development services,

OP
OP
Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I dropped of C-41 film for development and printing at Samy's last week and was told that I would take a week to get the film and prints done. I asked why and was told, "Too many people shoot film now." I answered "Not enough people shoot film now." The employees laughed and agreed with me.

mtnbkr

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I dropped of C-41 film for development and printing at Samy's last week and was told that I would take a week to get the film and prints done. I asked why and was told, "Too many people shoot film now." I answered "Not enough people shoot film now." The employees laughed and agreed with me.

It's a good point. We're at that uncomfortable space where the demand is outstripping current capacity but at the same time demand isn't enough to justify additional investment to keep up with said demand.

Chris

Henning Serger

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
It's a good point. We're at that uncomfortable space where the demand is outstripping current capacity but at the same time demand isn't enough to justify additional investment to keep up with said demand.

Chris

Hello Chris,

the first part of your last sentence is correct, but the second part is not.
As someone being professionally part of the film industry I can ensure you that all major film producers have recently invested or are investing and trying to keep up with the increased demand. That there are still supply shortages has several other reasons the film manufacturers have no or too little influence on (like e.g. significant raw material shortages).

Best regards,
Henning

OP
OP
Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Hello Chris,

As someone being professionally part of the film industry I can ensure you that all major film producers have recently invested or are investing and trying to keep up with the increased demand. That there are still supply shortages has several other reasons the film manufacturers have no or too little influence on (like e.g. significant raw material shortages).

Best regards,
Henning

+1

Moose22

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
There was an entire thread recently about Kodak hiring more people to produce more film.

It's not an easy thing to stand up new lines or increase production, irrespective of supply chain issues like the ones Fuji was running into, but it is happening where it can happen.

Pieter12

Shooter
Super8
Film is a perishable commodity and a manufacturer needs to gauge future demand before investing in more equipment, even before hiring more workers for existing lines. There is little competition so it becomes a question of risk vs profit. And a company like Kodak has other sources of revenue. Does anyone know if any of the other manufacturers are expanding? It just seems to be Kodak 35mm C41 film, not a universal, rising demand.

Huss

Shooter
Multi Format
Film is a perishable commodity and a manufacturer needs to gauge future demand before investing in more equipment, even before hiring more workers for existing lines. There is little competition so it becomes a question of risk vs profit. And a company like Kodak has other sources of revenue. Does anyone know if any of the other manufacturers are expanding? It just seems to be Kodak 35mm C41 film, not a universal, rising demand.

There is a huge demand for Fuji 200 and 400 c41 film.

OP
OP
Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format

This is hardly a problem when stores cannot keep film on the shelf. My 12 year old grandson today asked me for a Polaroid camera.

mtnbkr

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Hello Chris,

Best regards,
Henning

That's good to hear. Then I'll amend my statement to say that the investment hasn't yet had an impact...but it will soon. :smile:

I'll also admit I'm a bit pessimistic about the situation because I remember how trivial it was to buy and shoot film up to 2010 when I gave it up compared to the situation when I returned to it in late 2019. I know we won't get back to that prior level, but it'll be nice if we have more choice in terms of consumables and local service than we have today.

Chris

CMoore

Subscriber
Shooter
35mm
It is a strange (unprecedented) time for film.
Who knows how long this renewed interest will last.

My small experience with people and my film cameras is usually.................. young people that want to know what Camera/Film i am using............and older people expressing surprise that i still shoot film.
"Can you still buy film"........... is a typical question i get from people my age (born 1960) or older.

brbo

Shooter
Multi Format
"Can you still buy film"........... is a typical question i get from people my age (born 1960) or older.

And the answer is that "it's quite hard to buy any film nowadays, but that's not as bad as it sounds"...

albireo

Shooter
Multi Format
And the answer is that "it's quite hard to buy any film nowadays, but that's not as bad as it sounds"...

Yeah..Not hard at all in Europe at least.

It took me two clicks of my mouse to order 20 rolls of Rollei RPX 400 and 20 of RPX 100 from Macodirect. All in Black Friday discount, so 5 Euro/roll. Shipped at my door two days after.

Likewise, I routinely bulk buy Foma rolls from foma direct online. Fantastic prices, great film, at my door in a couple of days.

It's a great time to buy and use black and white film, at least.

Last edited:

Ernst-Jan

Shooter
Medium Format
Hello Chris,

Best regards,
Henning

Even companies that sell their film in green boxes?
Good to read, and nice to see you posting here since a long time :smile:

brbo

Shooter
Multi Format
Love me some sarcasm but to be fair you had written "any film" above

Wasn't meant as sarcasm. I've never been approached by a "is that a film camera, can you still buy film" person that later in conversation would say that he/she was a serious BW shooter. All colour and "boy was that Velvia EXPENSIVE!!!"...

Ernst-Jan

Shooter
Medium Format
Yes....which is part of the reason why the film made in Japan disappeared for a while and has now reappeared at reasonable prices.
Great to hear so. I am always positive about Fujifilm and never believed the freezer stories. Most of my colour photography is medium format and for that I almost use only Fujifilm (C41 and E6), but after the fact Fujfilm introduced Fujicolor 200 which was Kodak Gold 200, I found it hard be stay positive about Fuji and non-instax film production 🙃 Now lets hope for Superia 400 in 120. Or Pro 160NS / 400H II.

brbo

Shooter
Multi Format
A few days ago Fuji stated to expect their colour film to be in short supply.

I guess they thought there were no problems in the last two years or so...

• Sirius Glass
  • Sirius Glass
  • Deleted
  • Reason: Response to deleted content
Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom