Threads
Members
Latest member
Evergreen States
Recent bookmarks

viridari

Shooter
Hybrid
I'm sure many of you here, like me, have kids. Wondering what you're doing to give them a proper appreciation for "the analog option".

My oldest has always been very creatively inclined. I will often hand her a camera with a partial roll of 35mm left in it, set for automatic exposures, and let her go to town to finish the roll for me. Earlier this week I had 25 exposures left on a roll of Tri-X so she took care of that for me, as well.

I've been trolling eBay trying to get a rock bottom deal on a Canon EOS Rebel series 35mm SLR with lens to give to her. Haven't quite gotten one cheap enough yet but I'm working on it. I'd very much like to give her a camera of her own and occasionally toss her a roll of film.

The kid has good taste; she's been registering her enthusiasm for owning my Mamiya C330f.

Last week while I was developing film, she asked if she could try it. I sacrificed a roll of expired 120, handed her the spool, and showed her how it was done. She can do it in daylight but she's not yet able to do it in the bag. I've got tons of respect that she's trying it though.

She turns 8 soon.

Shooter
35mm
I let my niece work through a roll of Kodak E6 200 recently, with an all automatic camera. She is five, and greatly enjoyed making the photos. I will get the slides back any day, so I hope she will enjoy the result as well.

Ektagraphic

Shooter
Medium Format
I am pretty young and I love analog and I pass the fever around whenever I can. Let's put it this way...I don't even drive quite yet and I shoot super 8, Polaroid, 35mm,120 and soon 4X5. B&W, Chrome, and some color neg. I process and print black and white....lot's of fun. I need to try to recrute more people my age. I have been sucessful with some of the members of a camera club I am in....

Ektagraphic

Shooter
Medium Format
I don't mean to sound as if I am bragging....I am typically a pretty humble person.....

Shooter
Multi Format
My eight year old daughter has a couple of FujiFilm 28-56mm PnS cameras, and I keep them loaded with 400 c-41 film. She shoots about a roll a month or whenever the occasion calls. She has her photo albums, and I keep the negatives. I started her out with reloaded disposables about three years ago, shooting TMX. She also hangs out sometimes when I'm printing, and she recently showed her friends how to make photograms at the enlarger & watch the paper develop. She's in the loop.

OP
OP
viridari

viridari

Shooter
Hybrid
Very encouraging stuff. Hopefully when my daughter is my age, she'll still have the option to enjoy using film if her interest holds.

photomem

Shooter
Medium Format
My 9 yr old has had a digital for a year now. (Thought that would be the way to teach him some composition and camera handling) Now he wants film because he sees Daddy processing film and thinks it is So Cool...

Larry.Manuel

Shooter
Medium Format
When my daughter was 5 years old, she made some exposures with my M4-P. It was so heavy for her that it always drooped, the lens pointing rather low. I countered that by squatting down when she was photographing me. Looking at the photos, it's obvious that I am stooping. Also, I recall her holding the M4-P so that she used her viewfinder eye looking sideways, as if she were a fish. It was very cute.

For her 17th birthday, I gave her a framed, matted 16x20" FB print that I made from an Acros night exposure - made in my Rolleicord. She loves it.

Shooter
Multi Format
Start'em young, Mag. That's what I always say. My daughter (13) has a d*g*t*l P&S. But she still loves grabbing the Zeiss Ikon Contina III RF I gave to her a couple of years ago.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom