Film for developing by inspection

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Bill Banks, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Bill Banks

Bill Banks Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In a recent magazine article (B&W Photography Issue 94) the author, Andrew Sanderson, included photographs taken on X-ray film and on Ilford Ortho, both developed by inspection. Does anyone know where either of these types of film can be purchased in the UK? Alternatively, are there any other Ortho films available in 5X4 sheets?

2. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All films can be developed by inspection. It matters what safelight you use, though, but mainly because of how your vision works. Dark green is what you want, because your eyes are very sensitive to this. It helps if you use a developer such as Pyrocat, because it somewhat desensitizes the emulsion, to turning on the safelight doesn't affect the films so much.

I developed Tri-X, FP4+, HP5+ like this, using a metronome to count time (counting seconds becomes second nature after a while) and it worked great.

With orthochromatic films, you eliminate the spectral sensitivity to red light, and you can therefore use a red safelight for it, and it's much easier than the dark green light with panchromatic emulsions.

Then, of course, the orthochromatic films will look different because of how they record color. The Efke ISO 25 and 50 films are ortho-panchromatic films, with reduced red sensitivity, so I don't think they can be developed with red safelight. There used to be an ortho Tri-X, but I don't think it's available anymore. That's all I know.

- Thomas

3. edtbjon

edtbjon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    These films are certainly avilable on www.silverprint.co.uk. There should be other places in the UK too.

//Björn