Members
Latest member
Nikoman44
Recent bookmarks

connie2

Shooter
Multi Format
Hi

I have just processed a film which i had hoped had some good shots on it as first time i used one of my late dad's cameras a Nikon F2a Photomic using Ilford Fp4 plus 36 exposures.

Used Rodinol to process it as directed 1 +25 and just hung negs up and no exposures aprt from film type down edges.

Can film age be a cause? Any ideas what went wrong? Really disheartneing after spending the afternoon taking the photos.

:sad:

Anon Ymous

Shooter
35mm
If you can see the frame numbers and film type, then development was ok. There might be a problem with your camera, or film wasn't loaded properly.

markbarendt

Shooter
Multi Format
I see you said you can see the film type, if the film is clear then you are probably right, no exposure. Camera problem or loading error seem likely.

Last edited by a moderator:

Anon Ymous

Shooter
35mm
Additionally, the part of your film that was exposed to daylight when you loaded it should be black after development.

OP
OP

connie2

Shooter
Multi Format
Just had a quick look - Yep numbers and words are down the edges.

markbarendt

Shooter
Multi Format
How would i be able to check?

With the camera empty, set the shutter very slow (1 second), take off the lens cap, cock the camera, open the camera back, look at/through the shutter, fire the camera; if you could see light for 1 second the shutter is working.

When you shot the roll of film did it physically stop winding when you got to 36-37 or did you rewind before it stopped? If it never stopped you may not have had the film on the take-up reel properly. It that case the first few inches of film would be black and the rest clear.

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
Most likely problem here is that the film did not go through the camera. It would be highly unusual to see a camera that advances the film and the mirror flips and returns but the shutter does not open.

wclark5179

Shooter
35mm RF
After loading the film into the camera and closing the back, I will turn the re-wind knob in a clockwise direction to take up the slack in the cannister. Not too tight as then it's possible to re-wind the film back into the canister that just got loaded! Then I advance the film & see if the re-wind knob turns, thus making sure the film is advancing.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP

connie2

Shooter
Multi Format
Okay just did that and saw through to the otherside when the shutter opened. I wonder if i didn't load the film properly, although it stopped when i got to 36/37?

The film most likely came off the take up. Always attach the free end and advance 1/2 frame to be sure the film is going thru. Then put the back on, take the slack off the rewind and hold with your finger, then advance again and the rewind should turn around indicating film is tracking .

Do the visual check above on camera function, then put a roll in and make 6 test pictures, pull out 12 " in the dark and develope that much. Use high and low shutter speeds.

Be sure the exposures are correct and not short so there is no image.

OP
OP

connie2

Shooter
Multi Format
Okay thank you - just got to wait for more film to arrive now to test it. Thanks for all your help.

markbarendt

Shooter
Multi Format
Okay just did that and saw through to the otherside when the shutter opened. I wonder if i didn't load the film properly, although it stopped when i got to 36/37?

I don't know. If it stopped at 36 it sounds like you had the film in right.

Serious underexposure?

Try another roll. This time ignore the meter and use the sunny and F16 rule.

Actually I use the sunny and F11 rule where I live. Either should work fine.

Either way, Film ISO = the denominator of the shutter speed at F11 or F16.

If I use 400 ISO film in full sun I shoot at F11 and about 1/400th or 1/500th of a second. ISO 160, F11 at 1/160th.

Another question just popped into my head, What Film did you shoot with?

OP
OP

connie2

Shooter
Multi Format
I used Ilford fp4 plus, and used both in camera meter and handheld.

ozphoto

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
Is it possible the shutter sticks intermittently?
Have you tested all the speeds with the back open?

The only other option is the lens aperture is sticking - could be stuck at f22 or f32 - in which case severe underexposure will result. Had a Tamron lens with FD mount that failed me - only in this case severe overexposure as it wouldn't shut the aperture down - stayed wide open at f2.5.......

OP
OP

connie2

Shooter
Multi Format
My late dad took great care in maintaining his camera collection himself but i will get this one checked out, and the others too. Any tips on how i could do this myself in order to keep costs down.

I am going to go out and buy another roll and see what happens. I wonder if i did load it correctly and if i rewound it even before i took any pics. Manual cameras are new to me as been used to the "lazier" option of autofocus auto everything slr camera.

stradibarrius

Shooter
Medium Format
I think the simplest thing to do is just try another roll of film and see how it works... If you did make a mistake loading the film then you will know. Before you go spend any money just try another roll of film. Another test is to cock the shutter and set the the lens to f/22 for 1 sec. The set it to f/2.8 or what ever is wide open. See if the lens opening is changing with the different aperture settings. That simple test will tell you if the shutter is working and if the aperture settings are changing and it doesn't cost anything.

OP
OP

connie2

Shooter
Multi Format
It was the way i loaded the film as took it a local photo shop and asked the assistant to show how me how to load the film. I hadn't loaded it right not tightenend the slack and also the wind on thing didn't go round when advanced the film.

All a learning curve - now just need to make sure get the exposure right as under exposed a lot of my images (doh) then one of the films got caught in the sprial when processing so have half moon crescents on the negatives. Having said all that i have lots of examples for my project on what went wrong.

As you may guessed i am very rusty with the photography especially with a full manual film camera. Onwards and upwards!!

Anscojohn

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
[
As you may guessed i am very rusty with the photography especially with a full manual film camera. Onwards and upwards!![/QUOTE]

***\Keep at it. It's really a whole lot of fun. With loading, don't close the back until you see the end of the film leader come up around the take up spool. Then close the back; then gently rewind until you feel the tension; then advance to one. Works every time. Mostly......:tongue:

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
[
As you may guessed i am very rusty with the photography especially with a full manual film camera. Onwards and upwards!!

***\Keep at it. It's really a whole lot of fun. With loading, don't close the back until you see the end of the film leader come up around the take up spool. Then close the back; then gently rewind until you feel the tension; then advance to one. Works every time. Mostly......:tongue:[/QUOTE]

And if you follow this method, you will have a fail-safe clue indicating whether or not the film is loaded properly - if you have loaded the film properly, the rewind crank will rotate when you wind the film!

Matt

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom