film density and tone

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by mitch brown, Mar 5, 2009.

1. mitch brown

mitch brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    after being give a calibrated xrite densitometer i decided to start using fp4+ and was going to use the xrite to do my film testing all has worked out as zone 1-is .10 over fb +f but i am calibrating my highlights as zone 9, and that film density is higher that what i have read should be the density it is 1.65 not as Read 1.44, i use xtol 1:1 68 d in a slosh tray developed for 10m i can easily tell the zone 9 from paper white. oh i use a aristo VCL4500 light . am i doing something wrong or do different lights produce diff tones at a certain film density.
    thanks for your input.

2. gainer

gainer Subscriber

Generally speaking, a diffuse enlarger light source will produce a lower print contrast than a condensed light source, but the color temperature of the lamp filament has an effect also. Many modern enlargers use lamps that burn at higher temperatures, thus producing a bluer light, which makes higher contrast on VC papers. If the Xrite was calibrated for a different type o enlarger than the one you have, it may need recalibrating, or at least "fudging".

3. BobNewYork

BobNewYork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If your Zone I is 0.1 and you can distinguish your Zone IX then all is OK - for your metering, technique etc. If you want to reduce the neg. density then you can reduce development time - or "slosh" a little less! The actual b+f density shouldn't really matter if your highlights and shadows appear in the print as you would want them.

Mr. G makes a good point that perhaps your enlarger lamp is a little yellow. Has the diffuser become discolored or something. If so on VC paper your paper contrast would be lower than you would anticipate.

Hope this at least gives you some food for thought

Bob H

4. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You will find a list with all density values for film and paper on my website under 'Library'.

5. Don Wallace

Don Wallace Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ralph isn't paying me to say this, but I learned an AWFUL lot about film processing and testing from his book "Way Beyond Monochrome."