Members
Latest member
gigidamico
Recent bookmarks

ged

Shooter
35mm
Hi everyone,

Do you have any recommendations for where to get B+W film and chemistry these days? Also, any recommendations for local camera repairers (Leica and Rolleiflex)?

Thanks for our help,

Ged

guangong

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
For film:/B&H Photo...free shipping for orders $50 and over. Also most chemicals. Freestyle, but shipping can be expensive because shipping cost depends upon cost of item, and not weight. However, Freestyle carries a wider selection of films and chemicals than B&H.
For repairs, check out advertisers on this site.

markbau

Shooter
Analog
I get most of my film and paper from VanBar in Melbourne, I do in store but I believe they ship within Australia. Great company to do business with.. B&H in New York are a superb company to deal with but shipping costs have gone through the roof. If you want chemicals Gold Street studios in Victoria are great.
For repairs I like
http://www.cameraclinic.com.au/index.php/en/
But II don't know if they do Leica and Rolleiflex but they are a great company to deal with.

momus

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
Freestyle Photo is my go-to for all my photographic gear. Hopefully the Big Box stores in N.Y. have changed their ways, but I had so much trouble out of them in the past, it wasn't worth it. Freestyle has polite, professional, courteous people working for them. The N. Y. stores have.........bozos.

MattKing

Shooter
Multi Format
Thread title updated, for those who forget to check the sub-forum that a thread is posted in.
(Like me, sometimes :whistling:)

markbau

Shooter
Analog
Freestyle Photo is my go-to for all my photographic gear. Hopefully the Big Box stores in N.Y. have changed their ways, but I had so much trouble out of them in the past, it wasn't worth it. Freestyle has polite, professional, courteous people working for them. The N. Y. stores have.........bozos.
I've used B&H for over 30 years. Best company I've ever dealt with.

Maris

Shooter
Multi Format
I get film from: Walkens House of Film located at 101 Brunswick St in Fitzroy. Favourable prices, fast cheap shipping.

Nige

Shooter
Multi Format
I think I saw a post somewhere that Camera Clinic are shutting / have shut the doors.

Barry Kirsten

Shooter
Multi Format
Australian prices are high and it pays to shop around. I only use Vanbar when their prices are favourable and never for film and paper. I get rollfilm and 35mm film from Decisive Moment or Ikigai. Foma film and Paper from Blanco Negro is generably affordable and not bad in quality. If you prefer Ilford FB paper, which I do, it's definitely cheaper from B&H and Freestyle, even with freight, exchange rate and GST factored in. I get most of my chemicals and materials for alt printing from Ellie at Gold Street Studios; she has a great range and is only an hour away from me. I believe F16 Camera Service in Brisbane is good for repairs, but have not used them.

Last edited:

markbau

Shooter
Analog
Australian prices are high and it pays to shop around. I only use Vanbar when their prices are favourable and never for film and paper. I get rollfilm and 35mm film from Decisive Moment or Ikigai. Foma film and Paper from Blanco Negro is generably affordable and not bad in quality. If you prefer Ilford FB paper, which I do, it's definitely cheaper from B&H and Freestyle, even with freight, exchange rate and GST factored in. I get most of my chemicals and materials for alt printing from Ellie at Gold Street Studios; she has a great range and is only an hour away from me. I believe F16 Camera Service in Brisbane is good for repairs, but have not used them.
Barry, how long since you’ve checked B&H? Shipping to Australia is now through the roof and they now collect the duty for the Australian government. B&H and Vanbar prices are now about the same once you factor in exchange rate, shipping and duty.

Joachim_I

Shooter
Medium Format
I think I saw a post somewhere that Camera Clinic are shutting / have shut the doors.
Yes, by the end of the month. Details on their webpage. Huge loss for Melbourne photographers.

markbau

Shooter
Analog
I think you are correct. Whilst there website is still up, I sent them an email a few days ago and I haven't had a reply. Damn shame, they were repair masters.

guangong

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
My experience has been just the opposite. B&H very good concerning returns. People who take phone orders always polite. Been dealing with them since their location on 17th street.

Barry Kirsten

Shooter
Multi Format
Barry, how long since you’ve checked B&H? Shipping to Australia is now through the roof and they now collect the duty for the Australian government. B&H and Vanbar prices are now about the same once you factor in exchange rate, shipping and duty.
Mark I did a check only a week ago. It may depend on what you actually compare and on quantities involved.

Romanko

Shooter
Medium Format
Walkens House of Film and Decisive Moment for film and colour chemistry. I had good experience with VanBar and Photo Resource but they could be more expensive.
Gold Street Studios for raw chemistry.
For repairs I used Chris Sherlock before he retired. I am looking for someone in Australia with the same level of skills and expertise. No success so far.

whitelight

Shooter
35mm
+1 for getting chemistry from Vanbar. One of the very few places that have raw chemicals too, and the prices are reasonable. I tend to get film & paper from B&H but prices have gone up... thankfully stocked up already.

munz6869

Subscriber
Shooter
Large Format
Chemistry from Vanbar, film from a bunch of places:
B&H, Walken's House of Film, Decisive Moment, Film Photography Project, Negative Supply, K.C. Canham cameras. Depends what I'm after at any given time, really. Walken's has the 'class leading' stickers and wrapping paper :smile: !

Marc

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom