Federal 450-CL Cold-Lite Enlarger

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Sessions of Light, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Sessions of Light

Sessions of Light Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just wondering if this Enlarger would be any good? It's in great shape, has a Rodenstock Rogonar-s 135mm f/4.5 lens on it. I would like to start printing my own B&W photos. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would hold out for something better.

If it has the 'flying saucer' head then the chances are the warm-up cycle of the cold-light on this enlarger will drive you nuts.

3. OP
    OP
    Sessions of Light

Sessions of Light Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks, How long is the warm-up cycle typically?

4. athanasius80

athanasius80 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got the same enlarger with a condenser and 75w bulb and its fine for what it is. Certainly not the most expensive, complex or exciting piece, but I like mine.

5. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it is the lamp house I am thinking of - similar to the Omegalite - it uses a circular household flourescent of the sort you might find in a kitchen ceiling lamp.

The warm up is like any other flourescent lamp. Takes a minute or so to get to full brightness. If you make sure the lamp is warmed up before you print things may be OK.

This lamphouse design is not used anymore because of this problem. The design does provide lots of very even light using a very low cost design, however.

6. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you are industrious/adventurous you could try rigging up a heater for the head. My Aristo uses 4 power resistors shorted to the mains in series with a thermostat, thats the 'heater.' Mine came set around 36 C.

7. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, the Rogonar is a decent-enough, four element enlarging lens. And sometimes single post enlargers like this can be converted into a copy stand. If you can get it cheaply enough, or at no cost, it will get you started.

8. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about leaving the lamp on and either rig a shutter or use a lens cap to control exposure. Any light leaks from the head would have to be covered.

9. rmolson

rmolson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I had an omega with an old omega cold light head and it was useless with filters for multigraded papers. Wrong spectrum

10. Bob Eskridge

Bob Eskridge Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can use the enlarger with graded papers. I purchased a Federal 450 one a year of so ago with the condenser head. I will be glad to sell you the condenser - cheap. If you are interested. My plans are to adapt a Aristo cold light head from a Omega D2 that I happen to own.

The enlarger is very compact and is so designed that it could be easily disasembled for storage where space is at a premium. That is it's main attribute, in my opinion.