Favorite tripod/support device for macro

Discussion in 'Macro Photography' started by stevenb1, Feb 4, 2009.

1. stevenb1

stevenb1 Guest

What is your tripod/support device of choice for maco shooting, esp close to the ground.

2. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Manfrotto 209 for 35mm: small, light and sturdy with the 482 ballhead,
    Manfrotto 055 (full size tripod that goes extremely low too) for 6x6 and 6x7.

Peter

3. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Between the tripod head and the camera (or with a light head and smaller camera perhaps between the tripod and the head): Linhof macro rail. I've attached a photo showing the rail connected to a copy stand.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2009
  5. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could use a 8" more or less diameter(or square) piece of 1/2" ply with a small ball head on it. Or if a little more versatility is desired, put a X-Y axis focusing rail between the head & ply. Little rubber feet too.

6. OP
    OP
    stevenb1

stevenb1 Guest

Thanks to everyone for their responses. The ply idea is interesting, esp. since I have some lying around.

7. Bosaiya

Bosaiya Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    For most of my work I use a Libec cinema tripod with a 100mm ball head. The head is easily removable and can be placed in anything that will accept a 100mm half-circle. For low-work I use a high hat mounted on a thick piece of plywood, it has just enough clearance to allow for the underside mounting screw and a small amount of head movement. The support can be straddled for stability, although I've never had to do that when taking stills.

For smaller work I have a Bogen tripod of some kind sans-spreader that can do a pretty good impression of the splits. I cut down the center column head support so that there is just enough to fit into the sticks. Total height is a few inches, plus whatever head gets mounted. This is pretty stable since the legs are spread wide, but it's also less convenient than using a high hat or something more dedicated to the task. Then again, you probably have a tripod laying around you could use, so that's one less expense.

8. ac12

ac12 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is an OLD thread, but ...

I just got my wife a T-shaped focusing rail.
    Besides the forward/backward focusing and framing of a normal focusing rail, it will also allow her to move the camera left right w/o having to move the tripod. This makes fine tuning the image in the frame a lot easier.

Just screw it onto the tripod/support of your choice.

9. f/16

f/16 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like the Kirk long rail. Not quite as precise as a focus rail, but much smaller and cheaper than one. For low shots I prefer my Manfrotto 3021BPRO. The legs spread flat. On my Induro tripods, they only spread out to about 70 degrees.

10. vinhkha005

vinhkha005 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Manfrotto 209 for 35mm

11. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Manfrotto 3221 with a ball head.

Jeff

12. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And, a Velbon Macro Slider !

13. 1+2äugig

1+2äugig Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    favorite tripod for macro

My preferred tripod for 35 mm macro is the Pentacon Universal Stativ.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.