Members
Latest member
jrhii
Recent bookmarks

wjlapier

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
How do YOU do it? Wash between Dev and Blix--would this matter? Most I've developed was 14 rolls combined 120 and 35mm. My last rolls were XP2 so I wasn't too concerned about a color cast or anything odd color-wise. But it got me to thinking some of you might have a method to extending the life of your c41 chems. I remember reading a while back where a guy was still getting good images from his negs at around the 24th roll. I use the cheap stuff from Freestyle and for the most part I'm happy with it. But when I start shooting some of my 220 film I'm wondering how far should I go before mixing the next batch.

I know this subject has been discussed many times and I appreciate the insight into your developing method to save pennies.

Thanks!

Punker

Shooter
Multi Format
I simply add more time to the Developer. I've never had to add time for the Blix but if I'm really stretching a kit past 20 rolls I'll add 30 seconds or a minute. The last time I pushed a kit went like this. Units are in minutes:seconds.
  • Rolls 1-12: 3:30
  • Rolls 13-15: 4:00
  • Rolls 16-19: 4:45
  • Rolls 20+: 5:45+
If the kit has been sitting for an extended amount of time without use, say a month, I'll also add time for that. So it varies.

Joel_L

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I have always mixed just what I need for one shot use. I purge the concentrates with Argon ( there are other choices, I use Argon because I have a spare small tank ). My chems last over a year. One shot does not give max roll yield, but I have good luck with long term storage. For me, this is more important because I just don't shoot as much as I used to but do still enjoy it when I do. At one time I was mixing less chem per volume for one shot trying to stretch my chems and actually had it working with great results. I took the approach of mixing the chemicals to meet the required chemical volume to do say 1 roll of 35mm, then mixed that with water to get to the volume my tank needed. On top of that was a time adjustment similar to using partially depleted chemistry. I've used that method with C41 and E6 with success.

OP
OP

wjlapier

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I simply add more time to the Developer. I've never had to add time for the Blix but if I'm really stretching a kit past 20 rolls I'll add 30 seconds or a minute. The last time I pushed a kit went like this. Units are in minutes:seconds.
  • Rolls 1-12: 3:30
  • Rolls 13-15: 4:00
  • Rolls 16-19: 4:45
  • Rolls 20+: 5:45+
If the kit has been sitting for an extended amount of time without use, say a month, I'll also add time for that. So it varies.

My 13-15th roll ( not sure which it is--lost count ) I used the extended time. So far scans look good. Thanks for the idea.

Rudeofus

Subscriber
Shooter
Medium Format
The absolutely cheapest way to process C-41 would go as follows:
  1. Dilute CD as described here by David Lyga. Also follow his instructions for stop bath.
  2. Convert your BLIX into a bleach as described in my article.
  3. Get a cheap neutral rapid fixer or mix one yourself, formulas are here for decent fixer and here for great fixer (do your self a favor and ignore the flame war following the original posting).

Sirius Glass

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I collect enough film to process. Then I mix the chemicals and process all that I have, 12 to 18 rolls, in two or three days and dump the chemicals.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom