Expired Fomadon LQN - What would you do?

A

Promethea Moth

D
Promethea Moth

On The Nest

D
On The Nest

Reception area - Spain

A
Reception area - Spain

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crockodile
Recent bookmarks

Daniela

Subscriber
Format
Multi Format
Hi everyone,
today, I bought two bottles of Fomadon LQN because it was available and I needed developer fast. Once home, I realize that the expiration date on it is December 31, 2023, which was not mentioned in the site that I bought it from. This wasn't mentioned by the store employee when I picked it up either. Would you return it? Would it be ok to use for a couple of extra months after the expiration date?
Side note: I seem to have bought their last two bottles because it now shows up as "not on stock" on the site 🙄
Thanks!

cliveh

Subscriber
Format
35mm RF
I take it this is liquid developer. If kept in a air tight bottle it should be fine.

Ian Grant

Subscriber
Format
Multi Format
You are doomed, commit Harri Kari.

It's not useless give it to someone here who will use it was intended :D

These dates are meaningless, they are about ISO 9002 stock control to ensure we as customer get relatively fresh materials. but that's often way less than the materials will still be 100% usable.

Ian

Michael Howard

Subscriber
Format
Multi Format
Daniela, it should be fine if unopened. As older stock, the only problem you may run into is longevity after opening. It may decline at a faster rate. I would plan a big session or 3 and use it all up. I would not be surprised if an unopened bottle like that is still good even in another 6 months.

OP
OP
Daniela

Daniela

Subscriber
Format
Multi Format
I take it this is liquid developer. If kept in a air tight bottle it should be fine.
It is indeed liquid and sealed. Gracias!
You are doomed, commit Harri Kari.

It's not useless give it to someone here who will use it was intended :D

These dates are meaningless, they are about ISO 9002 stock control to ensure we as customer get relatively fresh materials. but that's often way less than the materials will still be 100% usable.

Ian
Hari kari seems a bit too extreme. I might as well just drink the fomadon since it's right here!
Daniela, it should be fine if unopened. As older stock, the only problem you may run into is longevity after opening. It may decline at a faster rate. I would plan a big session or 3 and use it all up. I would not be surprised if an unopened bottle like that is still good even in another 6 months.
Merci!

MattKing

Format
Multi Format
I'd pay closer attention to the physical integrity of the container than the date printed on it.

OP
OP
Daniela

Daniela

Subscriber
Format
Multi Format
I'd pay closer attention to the physical integrity of the container than the date printed on it.

The containers seem intact, even if they always look like this 🤷‍♀️
1706806537470.jpeg
1706806754637.jpeg
1706806848157.jpeg

Not a straight edge in sight! LOL

cmacd123

Subscriber
Format
35mm
the date is suposed to ensure that when you use it, it will work perfect. It likely will not sudenly turn into a pumpkin at Midnight on new years. if it still looks OK, it is probably OK, you can always try developing a snip of film leader to be sure.

foc

Subscriber
Format
35mm
Can you let us know how you get on and if you are happy with the developing results, please?

I always thought Fomadon LQN had simple developing times, most 100 speed were 7-8 minutes @20C and most 400 speed were 9-10 mins @20C. It would be interesting to hear your opinion.

albireo

Format
Multi Format
Can you let us know how you get on and if you are happy with the developing results, please?

Hi @foc - sorry, not OP but I use LQN a lot - it gives excellent results with Foma 200 and 400 IME. It can be used 1+14 too, which allows for slightly more relaxed developing times.

My only issue with it is that once the bottle is open, without any special precautions (eg gassing, marbles) it goes bad in approx 3 months.

miha

Format
Multi Format
Hi @foc

My only issue with it is that once the bottle is open, without any special precautions (eg gassing, marbles) it goes bad in approx 3 months.

Can't you squeeze the bottle enough so the solution reaches the brim after every use?

DareFail

Format
Medium Format
It will be as good as new.

Ian

I used to use Fomadon LQR for reversal process.
The developer was factory sealed, 1 month before the expiration date on the bottle.
Always the same process for 10 minutes at 20 degrees.
It seemed that i needed 10 more minutes to get good results. Weak developer.

OP
OP
Daniela

Daniela

Subscriber
Format
Multi Format
It seemed that i needed 10 more minutes to get good results. Weak developer.
I've used LQN a lot and always gotten ok results; but the two Kentmere 400 rolls I developed last night were so thin...just getting readable enough contact sheets was a hassle. I was able to print a couple of shots just fine, but I need to readjust the time, for sure. How do you go about calculating how much extra time to give? I had details in shadows and highlights, but I need/want more density and contrast (funny that I didn't buy LQR because it mentioned increased contrast).

miha

Format
Multi Format
I wouldn't use this developer any any longer, it will only get worse I'm afraid.

OP
OP
Daniela

Daniela

Subscriber
Format
Multi Format
I wouldn't use this developer any any longer, it will only get worse I'm afraid.

Really? I tested a bit of film beforehand and it did fully blacken in the developing time...dang it. I bought two bottles of the thing.

foc

Subscriber
Format
35mm
Hi @foc - sorry, not OP but I use LQN a lot - it gives excellent results with Foma 200 and 400 IME. It can be used 1+14 too, which allows for slightly more relaxed developing times.

Thank you for your reply. When using the 1+14 what sort of times for 100 speed and 400 speed?

DareFail

Format
Medium Format
I've used LQN a lot and always gotten ok results; but the two Kentmere 400 rolls I developed last night were so thin...just getting readable enough contact sheets was a hassle. I was able to print a couple of shots just fine, but I need to readjust the time, for sure. How do you go about calculating how much extra time to give? I had details in shadows and highlights, but I need/want more density and contrast (funny that I didn't buy LQR because it mentioned increased contrast).

I think it is trial and error situation. Or you may develop it through inspection.
In my case it was easy to just get a good positive image to my taste. I don't have a densitometer.

OP
OP
Daniela

Daniela

Subscriber
Format
Multi Format
I think it is trial and error situation. Or you may develop it through inspection.
In my case it was easy to just get a good positive image to my taste. I don't have a densitometer.

Oh, yes, that's how I look at it too. It's about printable-enough negatives 😬 I don't have nor care to have any gadgets to examine things so carefully. I have decided that since I make my own rolls, I'll do tests with a few frames by increasing the developing time and see what I get. I'll probably end up going back to ID-11 afterwards.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab Blue Moon Camera & Machine
Top Bottom