EOS 3

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by jm3795, Dec 28, 2017.

1. jm3795

jm3795 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi,

I bought a used EOS-3 two months back and have been shooting with it every now and then. I just got to developing and scanning a lot of the negatives from the camera and I was baffled that a majority of the frames were back-focused for some reason. Granted, I do shoot a lot of frames wide open with my 50mm 1.2 but some of these frames are completely out of focus. Anyone have similar problems with back focusing on the EOS 3?

2. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thousands of frames shot with the EOS3 - action and low light, using only Canon L f2.8 zooms and not a frame OOF. I don't have the f1.2 so that maybe a possible issue. I also only used Nikon Coolscans 5000 & 9000 with never a focusing issue in >40K frames scanned. I don't know what scanner you are using but did you examine any of your OOF frames under a powerful loupe? I use a 40X/8X loupe to show clients optically when their frames are OOF to prove that my Colscans are not the reason for their OOF results.

What you can optically verify at 40X with this the Coolscans will resolve.
    [​IMG]

3. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format

Autofocus SLRs do go out of calibration and need adjusted sometimes. There are two possible problems here. The camera body's AF system could need adjusting, or the lens might need adjusting. The camera and lens work together, and both have electronics in them that are part of the AF system. One or even both can be out of adjustment!

With an f1.2 lens, there is NO room for error; a tiny error shows up in a way that would not with a slower lens.

4. Cholentpot

Cholentpot Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Without any knowledge other than what you supplied I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's the f/1.2 shoot that wide open and you're going to miss most shots. I have a 1.4 sitting around and I never bother shooting wide open, chances of getting what are want in focus are slim to none. Even my 1.8 lenses I'll stop down just a smidge to 2.0 or 2.8 to guarantee hitting the focus. I'll gamble with lower shutter speeds rather than wider aperture.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.