Eliot Porter: The West

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by darinwc, Apr 22, 2009.

1. darinwc

darinwc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just picked up this book at a SPCA used book sale.
    I am very impressed by this book. It seems to me an honest interpretation of the area, and I identify with Porter's vision much moreso than some other contemporary photographers.

2. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I always thought that Porter had a very breathy vision in regards to portraying the out-of-doors. Great find, Darin.

3. Stephen Schoof

Stephen Schoof Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I used to check that one out from the library all the time. I guess I followed more after Galen Rowell's style, but I love the clarity and simplicity of Porter's images.

4. OP
    OP
    darinwc

darinwc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Funny, Galen Rowell is exactly who I was thinking of as a contrasting style.

5. Stephen Schoof

Stephen Schoof Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at. I like and am inspired by both, though.

6. mrladewig

mrladewig Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm a huge fan of Porter. I've got a first edition of "In wildness..." and am looking for a mate in "The Place Noone Knew...". If you like The West, you'll probably enjoy American Places as well. My other Porter books are Iceland and The Tree Where Man was Born. Porter's Iceland is spectacular.

Ansel Adams and Galen Rowell are OK, but I greatly prefer Eliot Porter's vision.

7. Joe Lipka

Joe Lipka Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    For a photographer primarily known for his exquisite dye transfer work, his Black and White photographs of the American West are special.

8. OP
    OP
    darinwc

darinwc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am pleased to learn that Porters' other books are well liked. I will have to start looking for them.
    They seem to be very reasonably priced online.

9. Arklatexian

Arklatexian Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not being fond of "labels" I hesitate to write this. Ansel Adams, a great B&W photographer of nature. Eliot Porter, a great color photographer of nature.........Regards!

10. jtk

jtk Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ansel Adams was also a highly accomplished commercial photographer, Eliot Porter was like Ansel a Sierra Club promoted environmental activist (Place Noone Knew). Galen Rowell, who was my photo lab client, graduated from Berkeley High School, was an athletic rock-climber, wanted to climb mountains so he rebuilt engines in his parents extra garage to finance more climbing, then got serious about impactful photography using dramatic tweaks of his mountaineering slides using a Honeywell (Pentax) Repronar, then wrote articles and books, became very financially successful selling LARGE Ektacolor prints and teaching photography (as did Ansel).

Point is, these three were very real men...were far more complex and personally fullfilled than their myths suggest.

Last edited: May 2, 2018