Efke IR820 in Rodinal or HC110

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Poohblah, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Poohblah

Poohblah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ok, so I know you all probably get tired of these questions, but I have one exposed roll of 35mm Efke IR820 and only one roll. The MDC isn't much help for HC110 since I mix mine at 1+63. The Rodinal suggestions are slightly more helpful, but they still don't tell me what the characteristics of the resulting negatives are. If any of you wonderful people have some experience with either of these two combinations, I would love to hear it!

P.S. I used a dark red filter (didn't want to buy an IR filter just to try one roll) and bracketed exposures, if it makes any difference.

2. Toffle

Toffle Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have developed Maco 820 (aura) in HC-110, which I belive is essentially the same film. I found that the MDC times of 7 minutes for Dil-B are quite a little short, though I suspect that I was not nailing the exposure correctly; I exposed my first rolls at ISO 6 with an R-72 filter, and have since read that it is more effective at ISO 3 or even 1.5. Nonetheless, I found that dev times of 8 min in Dil-B gave me negatives that rendered some very nice prints. I don't know how well this film might work with a dark red filter, though you should be able to meter TTL without difficulty. I think that 16 min would be a good starting point at 1+63, though I think I'd cut back on the agitation a bit.

Cheers, and good luck.

3. ntenny

ntenny Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    1+63 is dilution H; you could poke around in the MDC and see if you can find some other films with similar times as the IR in dil B, and use their times in dil H as a starting point; or you could use twice the dil B time, which should be at least in the ballpark. But if you're mixing from concentrate, couldn't you just do one batch at 1+31 instead, and use it one-shot with this one roll?

This stuff is pretty grainy even in HC-110---I'd be a bit scared of what it would look like at 35mm in Rodinal.

It's hard to make generalisations about this film in any developer; people's experiences with it vary a lot. This may just be because of shooting in light that you can't see---conditions that look the same to the eye may look pretty different to the film.

-NT

4. OP
    OP
    Poohblah

Poohblah Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah I suppose that would work. I don't follow all the "A," "B," etc. dilutions; I just use numbers. I was thinking that dil. A was 1+4 or something ridiculous like that, which would mean that I couldn't use it.

Based on my experiences with other films listed for similar dil. B times, I think I'll try 7.5 or 8 minutes. That seems to be the ballpark time for most films I've used anyway.

EDIT: I mixed HC110 at 1+37 (made measuring easier) and developed for 8 minutes. Negs are contrasty (but I expect that from IR film) and density is good overall. The IR effect seems to be much stronger on some negs than others.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2009