DX Coding, Exposure tolerance

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by abruzzi, Sep 16, 2018.

1. abruzzi

abruzzi Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was looking at the DX coding chart today, and I thought its interesting what the second row is for. It records the number of exposures on the roll, and the”exposure tolerance.” I pulled two rolls of Fuji I had—Superia X-TRA 400 and Velvia 50. The C41 film has the code for +3/-1 and the slide film has the code for +/-(1/2), which seems about right. Which of course begs the question, do any cameras actually read the exposure tolerance codes, and if so, what do they do with it? (I looked at the only DX enabled camera I have, the Nikon F4, and it only has a single row of sensors.)

2. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I assume that tolerance information only makes sense with complex metering systems.

3. EdoNork

EdoNork Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Maybe used by the Minilabs equipment?

4. OP
    OP
    abruzzi

abruzzi Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yeah, I was just curious if and how the information was used. I was thinking that a matrix system could adjust by in inferring dynamic range, though that not really what the data indicates.

5. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Having worked in a mini-lab I'll say no. Unlike APS, with 35mm, the cartridge is discarded before the roll is processed or printed, and not reattached after processing.

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It would tell the camera that slide film is present.

7. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah but only if your camera supports the second row of DX pins. I just checked the manual on the F6 and it doesn't mention anything about that DX feature. Does anyone have a camera example that has two rows of DX pins in the body?

8. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am going to quote myself, the DX cartridge code was not used in mini-labs, and very few mini-lab printing machines supported the DX edge code. In any case that's ancient history.

9. OP
    OP
    abruzzi

abruzzi Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The other thought I had was maybe for later consumer cameras that implemented “exposure compensation” with buttons and an LCD, they might have read the code, and limited how much exposure compensation you could dial in based on the DX information.

Or maybe it was never actually implemented. I doubt I’ll ever see a camera that uses it, I’m mostly just curious if and how it was used.

10. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    It is a good question. There has to have been a reason for it but for what that could be used and by what means?

pentaxuser

11. Agulliver

Agulliver Member
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    35mm
    In theory a camera or lab could use the information....but I'm unsure if it was ever widely implemented. Possibly something that the DX code designers intended but which was rarely used in real life.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.