Durst M601 negative carriers/bulbs

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by RJSPhoto, Jan 11, 2018.

1. RJSPhoto

RJSPhoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I recently acquired a near-perfect condition Durst M601 enlarger from a deceased relative.
    He shot primarily b/w 35mm film, so he has a 35mm negative carrier but I want to print some medium format film,
    2 1/4 x 2 1/4 and hopefully 6x7.

I haven't had much luck in locating a manual, only foreign language versions.

Does anyone have any good resources for finding these carriers? I may have found one on ebay, but I'm uncertain
    as to the compatibility.

Also, I need to replace the bulb. Can anyone tell me the best bulb for this enlarger? Thank you!

2. joby

joby Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    https://docslide.us/documents/durst-m601-manual.html

unfortunately you're out of luck for 6x7.. i've had luck using 1/16" ply (not the best, i know) to make a mask for my m601 carrier. the carrier is universal, the masks glass or glassless dictate the format. i've never done 6x6 on mine, but it might work if you just take out the 35mm mask.

it's a great enlarger! as far as bulbs, i've had luck with regular shapes opal bulbs with no writing on the top. if i'm not mistaken, i've even used an LED bulb as well with great results.

3. joby

joby Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i say this with full knowledge that there are more "by the book" bulbs that should be used with the m601, just relaying that i've had satisfactory results with lesser light sources.

and by "ply" i mean birch plywood.

4. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The PH 211 is the correct lamp for this enlarger, 110v. 75w. Other lamps may work but the M601, unlike most, uses the side of the lamp, not the top for illumination. If you have the glass inserts you can do anything up to and including 6x6, and there is an anti-Newton glass insert, if you have one it goes on top.

5. OP
    OP
    RJSPhoto

RJSPhoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh ok! I was looking at a carrier on eBay and the seller said it was universal... but I didn't believe them! I thought the blades were for cropping on the negative. Thank you for all the info, and the manual!

6. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Blades work for cropping, too.

7. ac12

ac12 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The M601 is a 6x6 enlarger, not a 6x7

PRINT the manual that joby linked to. You WILL refer to it several/many times.

You can find stuff on eBay, you just have to search, watch and be patient. It may take a long time to accumulate all the missing parts.

For lens and lens boards, get lenses and lens boards with a 39mm thread, not the smaller 25mm thread. Newer better lenses are available with the 39mm mount.

You might find that even the 75w PH-211 is too bright for you, giving you short exposures. Try a lower wattage WHITE 40w bulb of about the same diameter.
    In my M600, the PH-211 is marginally too bright.

BTW, I'm up the bay from you in San Mateo.