Durst M601 - Bulb wattage?

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Thomas Ryer, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Thomas Ryer

Thomas Ryer Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I recently bought a Durst M601 in mint condition. It came with a 150W bulb (+ identical new spare). Any idea if this might have been the original configuration / recommended wattage? The enlarger head gets very ( ! ) hot after a short while and even at f.16 I cant seem to push exposure times to more than max 10-11 sec which give me very little time to work on my print.. I haven't been in a darkroom in 20 yrs so quite rusty : ) Have I missed something or is the bulb wattage way to much? Also appreciate any info on use "modern bulbs" like LED etc. in the M601. Thanks!

2. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome!

Maximum 150W

Thus nonone would stop you from using a opalescant bulb of lesser power.

3. bdial

bdial Subscriber
    Ads Enabled

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Even though 150 is the max, a 75 might work better, both for heat and your exposure times.
    LED bulbs can produce a lot of heat due to the driver electronics and the heat sink that keeps the LED from burning up, they probably wouldn't be very happy in a tightly enclosed lamp housing.

4. darkroommike

darkroommike Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I never used anything but a 75 watt lamp in my M601, it's a pretty efficient machine and has only 6x6 for maximum film size.

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LED at same light output have much lesser heat loss than incandescant lamps.
    I thus guess your idea is their heat diffuser are so tiny, compared to the bulb surface, that they would need some airstream instead.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies. If you have a Photrio account, please log in (and select 'stay logged in') to prevent recurrence of this notice.