Doylestown Bucks County PA Exhibit

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by trhull, Feb 16, 2009.

1. trhull

trhull Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not sure if this is the right place for this post, but folks in the Allentown/Philly/Central jersey area that frequent Doylestown might consider stopping at 22 N. Main St in Doylestown and seeing a couple of dozen images I have taken over the last 30 years. They show lasts until mid -March, and has the normal coffee shop hours. The Michener Museum in Doylestown is also running a photo exhibit of portraits that is owned by a local collector, and is well worth a visit.

This is my second show, and this time I realize why the curator job description has such validity, as I really wrestled with how to organize, etc.
    I tried two things differently this time. First I decided to include some street portraits, even though I know they don't generally sell. I did this because I like these photos. Secondly, I decided to add a few 6X6 contact prints mounted in 12X12 inch frames. My feeling was that I could price them a little less, and they may reach other folks (women?) than might not otherwise be interested.

I would appreciate any feedback, positive or negative, and thanks in advance for those of you who can stop to view the photographs.

2. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's a bit of a drive for a cafe mocha, but worth it to see a fellow APUGger's work! The one that most grabbed my eye was on the side wall, an old guy -- blues musician? (who maybe I should recognize) -- with a scruffy beard and sunglasses. Unfortunately, my timing may have been bad, as the place was pretty heavily occupied with laptop jockies which made it difficult to get a close look at a few items. (For those elsewhere, the venue is across from the Bucks County Courthouse.) The top row in the array on the end wall was maybe a bit too high to fully appreciate, but then it did make it possible to see them over the heads of a laptop-connected meeting that was going on. Anyway, it was a nice retrospective, hope to see some more one of these days.

I parked up Main St. a ways and was reminded as I walked down the block that there are a lot of interesting turn-of-last-century and before buildings in that town.

DaveT (~40 minutes to the west -- except at rush hour)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009
  3. OP
    OP
    trhull

trhull Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Bucks Show

Dave-Thanks for stopping in. Yes it is a crowded coffee shop, so it is sometimes hard to see some of the photos. The photo you referred to was taken on Bourbon St pre Katrina.

I tried something new this time, using 6X6n contact sheets, but they are difficult to see becuase of the crowded gallery. Next time time you visit pm me for a cup of coffee.

4. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Almost forgot -- I also want to second trhull's recommendation of that exhibit of portraits at the Michener Museum, I checked that out a couple of weeks ago. Some wonderful work, well known people by well known photographers. That one is up until March 15.

At the same museum, Paula Chamlee has some work in a three-person exhibit Shifting Ground; Contemporary Landscapes. This exhibit ends March 1.

I managed to get to an exhibit in New Hope last month just before it closed, Sacred Spaces of the Southwest, gorgeous photos by Claus Mroczynski (who lived near New Hope for some of his life). Unfortunately, not only did the exhibit close on February 1st, so did the exhibition space. It was a branch of the Michener Museum and I guess a decision was made to expand the Doylestown facility rather than maintain two separate spaces. New Hope is fun to see, but tends to get overwhelmed with tourists and the parking situation is fairly atrocious (and/or $$$).

DaveT