Do I need to let newly mixed chemicals sit before use?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by MFP, Mar 1, 2009.

1. MFP

MFP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have recently mixed Dektol and some generic kodak fixer from powdered form to liquid, and I am wondering if I can use them right away, or if I need to let them sit for a little while.

Anybody know?

2. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only processing solution that might need to sit for a while before use is a developer containing Hydroquinone. This includes Dektol, D-76 and quite a few others. If you use it without allowing it to stand for about 1 day, you may observe a slight change in activity, mainly in contrast.

PE

3. OP
    OP
    MFP

MFP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    an Increase in contrast or decrease?

4. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Having them sit is easy -- teaching them to roll over is more difficult. And of course playing dead only takes time.

From what I understand, the activity of the developer changes slightly after the first piece of paper is run through it (has to do with the by-products created, or something like that.) I believe it gets a little more active. Perhaps the same is true with "aged" hydroquinone.

Vaughn

5. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Usually it goes through an increase and then a decrease. Many say they never notice it.

PE

6. OP
    OP
    MFP

MFP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    oh, wait, is Dektol a 1 time use developer or a re-useable developer? Haha, great now I'm more confused. My darkroom weakness is the chemicals, just tell me to put this juice in this cup, but get more complicated and I'm done. :smile:

7. mwdake

mwdake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you use tap water to mix up chemicals either take the aerator off your faucet before filling your mixing container or let the water sit in the mixing container for 15 minutes or so. This is to alleviate all the air in the water form the aerator, all the extra air can cause oxidation of the developer.

Or you could just mix up your chemicals using distilled water, that's what I do.