Threads
Members
Latest member
shawnmcc
Recent bookmarks

walbergb

Shooter
Multi Format
Does anyone have any experience with or advice on diluting polysulfide toner homebrew using the Kodak T8 formula: 7.5 g potassium sulfide + 2.5 g sodium carbonate in 1000 ml of water? According to Photographers Formulary and others, this is intended to be a working solution. Polysulfide toners are known for their effectiveness at higher dilutions, so I'm wondering if any APUGers have worked with this formula, diluted it, and with what results.

By comparison, Wynn White starts with a 30% stock solution of potassium polysulfide. His formula uses only 25 ml of the 30% stock solution + 2.4 g sodium carbonate in 1000 ml of water. That's a 0.75% polysulfide working solution (25/1000 * 0.3)! His working solution is heavy on the sodium carbonate. In theory one could dilute the Kodak T8 formula 1+9 to achieve a 0.75% polysulfide working solution albeit with a much weaker carbonate portion.

photo buddy

Shooter
Large Format
I have used polysulfide but never diluted it. It gives a really nice brown tone.

Guillaume Zuili

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
I never used this formula but I don't see why it wouldn't work more diluted.
The more you dilute polysulfide, the more colors you get.
Put a print in a tray full of water add a little bit of toner. If you get milkiness... it works :smile:

anikin

Shooter
Multi Format
Bob,

Are you sure that's 7.5 g Potassium Sulfide and not Potassium Polysulfide? I was under the impression that sulfide is used in two-bath formulas since it's not very effective on it's own...

Eugene.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom