Threads
Members
Latest member
brsi
Recent bookmarks

chiller

Shooter
Multi Format
No this isn't a troll, however it is a serious post.

Like many photographers, or it may just be me, the image I sometimes see in the viewfinder/screen is not quite what I remember the scene to be.

My wife has a Canon A310 - a digital equivalent of an instamatic which I have started carrying to "proof" sites prior to photographing them on film.

The advantages I have found are as follows.

[1] Quick walk around the area -- just shoot anything that is interesting.

[2] Quick transfer into the GIMP and reduction to greyscale with a preset black and white filter to approximate the film paper look I have. The reduction to greyscale is very handy as it helps understand the scene in a B&W way.

and [3] the ability to crop and examine image alternatives within things that have caught my eye.

Something else that I have found useful is the fact I can look at the image on the computer devoid of the distractions of ambient noise, smells and other sensory input. I have often been dissappointed with an image because it failed to convey all the emotions of the location. I don't get this naturally when viewing another photographers work of course and "proofing" in this manner away from the location I can look more at the image for what it is not what I felt at the time.

My wife has had this camera for quite awhile now and it has had little use -- until now. :smile:

roteague

Shooter
4x5 Format
I use a digital camera for taking pictures of signs, so I don't have to carry a notebook everywhere. That's the only use I have found for one.

Joe Lipka

Shooter
4x5 Format
This is the first time I have ever seen anyone mention this obvious use for "that" type of photon harvesting device. To KNOW before you leave what the correct exposure for a scene should be. If you can correlate the correct exposure from one media to another, it would save a lot of frustration in missed exposures. Think of it as polaroid without the muss and fuss.

This thread is dangerously close to being way off topic, but I like living on the edge.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom