1. ***DATABASE BACKUP IN 5 MINUTES, THE SITE MAY BECOME UNRESPONSIVE FOR 3-5 MINUTES. THANKS, SEAN***

Different Palladium different source?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by dpurdy, Jul 24, 2008.

1. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    A few years ago I bought quite a large supply of Palladium from a place on the US East coast. (with the economy, thank god for that, it saved a bunch of money)

The last few days I got to the bottom of the bottle and switched to a Palladium that is from Bostick and Sullivan. I noticed right away that the B&S palladium was redder in color as I brushed it on.

I made no changes in time or contrast and found the B&S palladium to match exactly the stuff I have been using the last few years but the B&S palladium prints far more reddish/pinkish brown by comparison to the East Coast stuff which prints far more neutral in color.

I really didn't expect any difference at all. Can anyone account for it or draw some conclusion from it? The older stuff I mixed from powder and the B&S stuff was provided in solution.

thanks Dennis

2. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    where they both Lithum,Ammonium,Cesium, etc? If they were made with different salts this could account for a difference. Also, if you are using the same developer (Potassium Oxalate?) the old metal salts will still be in there and could be reacting to the new pd mixture. Give B&S a call, they are great in assisting with these sorts of issues...though I am sure others will pitch in with other ideas.

3. OP
    OP
    dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    The B&S stuff is Sodium Chloropalladite and the previous stuff I put in solution myself with salt is Palladium chloride which I think mixed is the same stuff as B&S palladium solution #3

also I have always used Potas Oxalate Developer and the batch I have right now is well seasoned. But since I can actually see a difference in color right when I am brushing the Palladium on I doubt the Developer is the "culprit"

Actually it isn't a problem or difference in quality.. it is just a difference in color. So now I guess I have another color option.
    Dennis

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2008
  4. Dana Sullivan

Dana Sullivan Advertiser Advertiser

We use plain old sodium chloride in our solution. I have heard reports that using sea salt will change the color of the print because there are other chlorides beside sodium. Does this help?

5. OP
    OP
    dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks Dana. I hope you didn't take my thread as a knock on B&S palladium. As I was sorting out my stuff I came to realize that I actually have some parts of 4 different batches of Palladium. well now three as I ran out of one. I am now not sure whether the two different color printing batches aren't both from B&S. Actually I think the warmer color is more what people expect and if you use hot developer gives you very rich brown prints.

Anyway it is a curiosity
    Dennis

6. Dana Sullivan

Dana Sullivan Advertiser Advertiser