Threads
Members
Latest member
LucyJoanP2975
Recent bookmarks

stradibarrius

Shooter
Medium Format
If a photograph was taken with a 4x5 camera and then the exact same photograph, with equivalent focal length lens, was taken with a 35mm camera would there be a difference in the look or perspective of the image from the two cameras?

If the answer is yes would there also be a difference between the 35mm and a 6x7 image?

keithwms

Shooter
Multi Format
If the images are taken with a lens producing the same field of view? Notwithstanding tonality, resolution and effects due to lens design and aspect ratio and such, there will be no difference.

Denis K

Shooter
35mm
The perspective of an object in a photograph is only dependant on the position of the camera, not the size of the negative or the focol length of a lens. However, the field of view of the picture IS dependant on the film size and focal length. In other words, for a 35mm picture to contain the same subject space as a 4x5 picture, the focol length of the lens must be different.

OP
OP
stradibarrius

stradibarrius

Shooter
Medium Format
Denis, you are correct and I should have said FOV rather than perspective. I know that a 50mm in 35 format is not the same as 50mm in a 4x5 format. In 6x7 format a 100mm is roughly equivalent to a 50mm in 35 format. I am not sure what the "normal" focal length is in 4x5, 165mm?, when compared to 35 format????
But to get back to the question, if the shots were taken with from the same tripod giving the same "perspective" would the 50mm lens in the 35mm format give the same FOV as the 165mm lens in the 4x5 format. I think you are telling me the answer is yes????

ic-racer

Shooter
Multi Format
35mm and 6x9 have a very similar aspect ratio. A good rule of thumb for equalizing DOF between formats (for lenses of the same angle of view on the film) is to keep the absolute aperture (in millimeters, not f-stops) similar.

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford ADOX Freestyle Photographic Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom