Development for scanning (FP4+ in Rodinal)

Recent Classifieds

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shawnmcc
Recent bookmarks

morkolv

Shooter
Multi Format
Hi there...

I've just taken up LF BW home processing, great fun!! I have based my start on Rodinal as THE developer, as a large number of you seems to use this...

The challenge now is to find a a processing combination of development time and dilution to produce consistent results suitable for scanning ("thin negatives"?)

The film I'm currently are using are FP4+, next week also some Fortepan200.

BTW I process in a Jobo 3010, with a home made roller and water bath arrangement.

So WHAT are Your experience and recommendations in this matter ?

Jordan

Shooter
Multi Format
I have found the FP4+/Rodinal combination to scan horribly (the dreaded "enlarged" grain) but that is in 35mm. With LF I doubt it will be an issue. For development, 1+75 for about 16 min at 20C always worked well for me.

glbeas

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
If you have a decent scanner you can process normally for silver printing and get good results. This leaves you open for doing more advanced work later.

kaiyen

Shooter
Multi Format
_I_ use fp4 @ EI 80 in Rodinal 1+50 for 9:00. This is for 35mm, though. I find that works well with my Nikon Coolscan IV scanner. I follow the recommendation to develop for scanning as one would for a condenser enlarger.

allan

gainer

Subscriber
Sometimes the grain looks a lot worse on screen than on paper. The screen sampling rate may conflict with the scanner's sampling rate to give the appearance of horrible grain that does not show under the printer's higher sampling rate. It's all Nyquist's fault. If he hadn't found that the sampling rate must be at least twice the bandwidth of the information you want to send or recover from a message, we could still have the problem but wouldn't know the cause. We might never have had this renegade APUG forum because we would all still be using film, developers and printing paper.

Donald Qualls

Subscriber
Shooter
Multi Format
My scanner (an old Agfa Arcus 1200) is quite happy with negatives that would print well on a condenser enlarger. Hopefully, I will find they still print okay when I get my darkroom darkened, and put them under the cold light in my Omega D2...

Photrio.com contains affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission for purchases made through these links.
To read our full affiliate disclosure statement please click Here.

PHOTRIO PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Ilford Photo ADOX Freestyle Photographic Photo Warehouse Stearman Press Weldon Color Lab
Top Bottom